Movin' on up…to the east side

My life is about to take another turn. In just a few days, I will officially become a resident of Woodbury. Ahhhhh!

The idea of moving into a 2-year-old three bedroom townhouse is wonderful. Though I can’t complain about my previous apartment-living situations, I will be thrilled to have a full kitchen with standard size appliances, a garage, a front yard (as tiny as it is), my own laundry room, and SPACE. This last year I definitely downsized in terms of living space, and I think I might be feeling a bit claustrophobic. And of course I look forward to spending more time with Jon – we’ve been trying to pack in so much on weekends when we see each other that we don’t always get a chance to relax and just be.

The idea of moving into a 2-year-old three bedroom townhouse in Woodbury is what I haven’t yet come to terms with. Sure, I’ve spent a considerable amount of time at Jon’s place over the past 2 years. Just about every weekend, in fact. And I have loved it. Everything you could possibly imagine needing is right there in Woodbury. My favorite retailers, the gym, grocery stores, and just about every kind of restaurant you can think of. What I think hasn’t set in yet is that that is going to be the place I call home. HOME. Weird.

I have also not come to terms with the horrid commute that I will have from Woodbury to Plymouth every day. I will have no longer have relief stopping in St Louis Park to let the traffic die down. I have to accept that I will be spending at least 2 hours in the car every day, and that in the end, it is a price I am willing to pay. My plan is to stop at the gym on the way home to help avoid traffic, but the thought of that already makes me exhausted. Nonetheless, this is all you will hear me complain about it, because that’s reality and complaining won’t help. Maybe I'll have to get some really good books on CD...

Though I have been a west-side girl from birth, I am grateful that I have been able to expand my world to east of the river. I seriously love St Paul and its charm and history.  And I couldn't be happier that this is where we are getting married. Even so, I do hope that we find ourselves in a matter of years living more centrally, closer to both of our families and friends! Once I am settled and unpacked, we will have to have everyone over.  Another plus - I can finally entertain!

(I have had The Jeffersons theme song in my head this whole time...how about you?)

Comments

  1. East side = best side! The commute will totally suck, but the idea of stopping at the gym is fabulous. Andy drove to Minneapolis when he worked at the DT and it wasn't always horrrrrible.

    I LOVED every minute of living in Woodbury, and I'm sad I don't live there anymore! Best. City. Ever. :) I'm totally jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one am happy you are moving to the East Side (also known as the Best Side)! You will love it. As far as the commute it will suck, but when you get to come home and eat dinner and cuddle on the couch with Jon every night it won't seem so bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The West Side will miss you. I hope you visit it often. I can't imagine living there, but I do enjoy the time I spend in that part of town. I think I'll be a west side girl forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear Andy's commute was tolerable! And yes, Mandy, very good point that once I'm home for the night it won't matter. It's just more of an inconvenience than anything.

    Ang, I think I'll be a west side girl at heart forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. West side til the end. We know you'll be back Lis. And when you do, I think you should coordinate where you live with where I live so we can have back-yard bbq's and play dates with our future munchkins on random beautiful Tuesday evenings in the summer.

    FABULOUS idea about the gym. This ridiculous commute could give you a kick-ass body just in time for your wedding!

    That's not to say you don't already have a kick-ass body.

    Errr. Awkward. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe! It's definitely far from kick-ass right now, but I'm hoping... I appreciate the compliment nonetheless!

    And no worries, being close enough for random Tuesday bbqs and play dates is definitely on my list. Yup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No matter how long you live on the East side, you are a West-sider at heart. Since I've lived in the cities, I've lived on the West side for all of my 6 years with the exception of 6 months on Dale and Laurel in St. Paul - and let me tell you, that was a horrible experience. Within the 6 months I lived there, my car got broken into once and our house got broken into twice. So, not so big on the "East side" thing. Minneapolis, Maple Grove, Bloomington, Brooklyn Park and Savage have all rocked in comparison!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Winter 2015

Day in the Life - Spring 2013