I took a break
After making
it through 20+ monthly posts of pregnancy and Carter’s first year, I suddenly
felt no desire to blog. At all. I lacked inspiration, purpose, and I questioned
why I was putting so much of our lives out there for the world to access. Was I
blogging because I wanted to share our story or had anything worthy to say? Or was
I documenting for my own sake? Did it matter? Should I be thinking about our
privacy? Why does it suddenly feel like a chore?
So I took a
break. I briefly started documenting our holidays after I re-read my 2014
Christmas recap (and realized I loved having it to look back on), but I didn’t
make it far.
And then today,
I realized that there are so many funny, sweet, important little moments that
go by that I am not capturing. Particularly because of Carter and his age (and
antics) because let’s face it: he is our world.
Like this morning when he went
into the closet, grabbed one of Jon’s white undershirts, and brought it to him
in the bathroom after his shower. He clearly knows Jon’s moves each morning,
and was the cutest little assistant ever. LOL. Or last weekend, when I couldn’t
find the remotes anywhere, only to come across them stuffed into my winter
boot. Or the evenings Jon and I spent last month laughing and beaming with pride as Carter
learned to navigate the world on his feet. These are some of the little moments
I don’t want to forget about. Moments I would have captured on my blog if I hadn't felt unmotivated. Moments that otherwise will be eventually forgotten.
And then there are other non-Carter moments, like interesting work trips, much-needed happy hours, and family celebrations that deserve to be recorded too, if we're truly talking about life.
So I think I will get back to blogging. At least I'll try. I know I will not do very well at capturing our life anywhere else aside
from photos. Do you know how many journals I have started in my life with the
intention to document? Too many to count. This is my outlet. My keepsake. I don’t write
for anyone but me, yet at the same time I am fueled to write well knowing that
a few readers might be out there. It works.
As for the
privacy question, I decided that I’m not sharing anything embarrassing or
damaging to my family. I may re-evaluate when Carter is older, but for
now, I’m pretty sure he’d be proud to admit that he’s smart enough to help
dress Daddy for the day. ;)
Now, let's see if I can finish that holiday recap...
I love this post! I often wonder why I blog too, it is a lot of work and for who? I know I have a few followers who read my posts and they say they fully enjoy keeping up with the crazy life the boys and I lead. But it is really all worth it? And then I have nights when I sit on the couch and just read through old posts, relive those amazing memories and moments with my boys and I realize why I am doing this. I am doing it for the same reason you are, for myself. I am doing it so those little moments that would otherwise be long forgotten are here as a memory forever. I am doing it so maybe someday my boys can go back and read about some of the fun things we did together as they were growing up. My blog is my life journal, it isn't always the most interesting stuff but it is my life and I want to jot down these memories so I never forget them!
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog and following along with Carter as he grows up as I don't get to see him as much as I would like, thanks to busy work schedules, extra activities for the boys, new boyfriend (yah, he has taken up a lot of my free time) and everything else that life has that keeps me busy!