Annabel - Three months
Three months old, and cute as can be!
I was really nervous for this transition, despite being a once-over mom already. Annabel had already shown a strong preference to me and a dislike of being handed off to someone else (anyone else, including Dad, Grandmas, you name it), so I was so worried how she would be without me. I envisioned hours of inconsolable crying. I worried how she would sleep. She hated the bottle a mere few days prior, so then I worried she wouldn't eat. (Spoiler: it wasn't the bottle she hated, it was the over stimulation of the day). I was concerned for Barb, her caregiver, that this would literally push her to early retirement. She had already joked about needing to go out and buy a swing ASAP, which I'm sure was in fact really a joke but I read it as nerves for how it would go with this little spitfire.
Fortunately, AS ALWAYS, my children exceed my expectations. (Let's hope that continues in life, eh?)
On that first day, she fell asleep on the way there, so I left her still asleep in her car seat. It was better that way; no physical hand-off where she knew she was leaving Mama. I'm told she didn't sleep much that day, but every day since has done better. And she had no problem taking her bottles. And hardly any crying! No inconsolable episodes anyway.
I still remember the shocked look on Annabel's face when she saw me that first evening. I can only imagine she was thinking, "Well, MOM, what in the heck happened today? Where were you?" and immediately felt guilty for abandoning her. But I know deep down that she is fine, and that this is in many ways good for her. She still shows a preference for me, but I can now hand her off most times without a fuss, which is incredibly freeing for me. Not that I want to hand over my baby, but it's allowing me to get dinner ready without stress, or extra attention on Carter when he needs it most. And of course there's the social/developmental aspect of daycare that will be a benefit to us too.
Being reunited with her that evening felt SOOOOOO good. I forgot how strong our bond really is. But yeah, she was clearly stunned. ;)
So overall, the transition went well. We're still adjusting but each day feels easier and more normal.
Let's see. I estimate Annabel is about 14 lbs. Wearing size 2 diapers and 6-mo clothing. I just about cried when I swapped out all her 3-mo clothing three weeks ago, but some of those onesies were just not snapping well anymore. It is fun to have a whole new wardrobe for her though! Now I just need warmer weather to put her in the adorable rompers and sun dresses.
She smiles. A lot. Her biggest smiles are reserved for when she locks eyes with me in the morning. It lights up my heart to know that she is THAT happy to see me. She also smiles big when I sing Twinkle Twinkle...as did her brother. Can that be genetic? There are plenty of smiles to go around the rest of the time too, sometimes towards a window or ceiling, other times when one of us comes into her sight line. She's a happy baby for sure.
Her hair is really something. I hadn't noticed the drastic "bald man look" she had until she could hold her head up better. Fortunately, it seems the hair on top is growing, it's just light. Have I mentioned she has the same hairline and cowlick that Carter and Jon do? Oh genetics.
Just within the last week, she has been actually "talking" more consistently. Up until then, she'd try oh so hard, opening her mouth and panting like she had so much to say but no noise would come out. She finally figured it out, and it's the sweetest sound. She still does her little melodic cry that makes me chuckle too.
This last month Annabel attended her first baseball game, birthday party, and wedding, got her first shots (sob), was baptized, and met her auntie and uncle and cousins that live out of state. It was a busy but really awesome month!
Don't worry, she didn't just get her shots in the picture above, so I wasn't neglecting her in a great time of need for a photo. She had just been smiling and, per Annabel fashion, did a 180 and life was suddenly not good.
Annabel still rocks the nighttime sleep in her crib, never fussing when I lay her down and waking usually once between 2-3am. However, she still refuses to nap in it for very long. I appreciate she knows the difference between night and day but goodness. It's the same bed! Barb is working on her napping during the week, and if we are home on weekends we try as well. In the meantime, she still naps superbly in her car seat and someone's arms.
And that's our girl, in a nutshell. She continues to make my heart so incredibly happy.
This last month was full of lots of changes. Primarily, Mama returned to work and Annabel started daycare. AHH.
I was really nervous for this transition, despite being a once-over mom already. Annabel had already shown a strong preference to me and a dislike of being handed off to someone else (anyone else, including Dad, Grandmas, you name it), so I was so worried how she would be without me. I envisioned hours of inconsolable crying. I worried how she would sleep. She hated the bottle a mere few days prior, so then I worried she wouldn't eat. (Spoiler: it wasn't the bottle she hated, it was the over stimulation of the day). I was concerned for Barb, her caregiver, that this would literally push her to early retirement. She had already joked about needing to go out and buy a swing ASAP, which I'm sure was in fact really a joke but I read it as nerves for how it would go with this little spitfire.
Fortunately, AS ALWAYS, my children exceed my expectations. (Let's hope that continues in life, eh?)
On that first day, she fell asleep on the way there, so I left her still asleep in her car seat. It was better that way; no physical hand-off where she knew she was leaving Mama. I'm told she didn't sleep much that day, but every day since has done better. And she had no problem taking her bottles. And hardly any crying! No inconsolable episodes anyway.
I still remember the shocked look on Annabel's face when she saw me that first evening. I can only imagine she was thinking, "Well, MOM, what in the heck happened today? Where were you?" and immediately felt guilty for abandoning her. But I know deep down that she is fine, and that this is in many ways good for her. She still shows a preference for me, but I can now hand her off most times without a fuss, which is incredibly freeing for me. Not that I want to hand over my baby, but it's allowing me to get dinner ready without stress, or extra attention on Carter when he needs it most. And of course there's the social/developmental aspect of daycare that will be a benefit to us too.
Being reunited with her that evening felt SOOOOOO good. I forgot how strong our bond really is. But yeah, she was clearly stunned. ;)
So overall, the transition went well. We're still adjusting but each day feels easier and more normal.
Let's see. I estimate Annabel is about 14 lbs. Wearing size 2 diapers and 6-mo clothing. I just about cried when I swapped out all her 3-mo clothing three weeks ago, but some of those onesies were just not snapping well anymore. It is fun to have a whole new wardrobe for her though! Now I just need warmer weather to put her in the adorable rompers and sun dresses.
She smiles. A lot. Her biggest smiles are reserved for when she locks eyes with me in the morning. It lights up my heart to know that she is THAT happy to see me. She also smiles big when I sing Twinkle Twinkle...as did her brother. Can that be genetic? There are plenty of smiles to go around the rest of the time too, sometimes towards a window or ceiling, other times when one of us comes into her sight line. She's a happy baby for sure.
We seem to be past the evening inconsolable screaming, thankfully. I still don't know if it was silent reflux, overstimulation, gas, or just a phase, but I'm relieved our evenings are much nicer now. We also figured out that if she's even the tiniest bit hungry during the 4-7pm hours, she will freak out if anyone else holds but me.
Annabel loves watching people, staring at windows and lights, sucking on her fists, and enjoys a good kickfest on her playmat now and then. She doesn't DO a whole lot more than that yet. I was terrible at remembering to do tummy time, but her neck and torso strength developed despite that, and she can now hold her head up like a champ.
Her hair is really something. I hadn't noticed the drastic "bald man look" she had until she could hold her head up better. Fortunately, it seems the hair on top is growing, it's just light. Have I mentioned she has the same hairline and cowlick that Carter and Jon do? Oh genetics.
Just within the last week, she has been actually "talking" more consistently. Up until then, she'd try oh so hard, opening her mouth and panting like she had so much to say but no noise would come out. She finally figured it out, and it's the sweetest sound. She still does her little melodic cry that makes me chuckle too.
This last month Annabel attended her first baseball game, birthday party, and wedding, got her first shots (sob), was baptized, and met her auntie and uncle and cousins that live out of state. It was a busy but really awesome month!
Don't worry, she didn't just get her shots in the picture above, so I wasn't neglecting her in a great time of need for a photo. She had just been smiling and, per Annabel fashion, did a 180 and life was suddenly not good.
Annabel still rocks the nighttime sleep in her crib, never fussing when I lay her down and waking usually once between 2-3am. However, she still refuses to nap in it for very long. I appreciate she knows the difference between night and day but goodness. It's the same bed! Barb is working on her napping during the week, and if we are home on weekends we try as well. In the meantime, she still naps superbly in her car seat and someone's arms.

She is just such a sweet little girl! Can't believe how fast she is growing up. Glad that the transition of going daycare has gone well, it is never easy but always helps a little if the little ones seems to be excepting on the change! I am need some baby snuggles again so we may been to have a playdate sometime soon!
ReplyDelete