Things I have recently learned
Flowers are not cheap. Add the fact that they are for a wedding, and you’ve been financially hit two/three times as hard. I sat down with a florist for a wedding consult, and she pretty much quoted the most "basic" arrangements for the wedding party and ceremony for, oh, four times my flower budget. Come on, really?
Exercise is good for me. This is nothing "new" to me, but I definitely got into a rut over the winter months and forgot how great I feel after a good workout. I think it helps that I joined a new gym and love it. The one near us is generally pretty quiet, small but with all equipment you could ever want, and I don't feel intimidated by any hardcore athletes that I used to see at the larger gyms. It feels good to have renewed motivation. Here's goodbye to several extra pounds!
I need electricity. We woke up the other morning to no electricity, and needless to say, it was not a great start to my day. I could barely put on make-up by candlelight, and without a hair dryer, my hair was a huge wavy frizz-ball all day. Blah. To top it off, I had to rummage through the closet in the dark to find something not wrinkled to wear, since I couldn’t use the iron (and am too lazy to iron ahead of time). So I had messy make-up, frizzy hair, and clothes I wish I wasn’t wearing. What a wonderful day it was. Only a few minutes after I left for work, Jon called to gloat that the electricity came back on. Figures!
I can cook! Until recently, I had never really given myself the chance in the kitchen. I would often second guess my abilities (and rightfully so, as I have made a disaster of a number of meals in my day). Now living with Jon and being on the tight budget we are, we have been trying to eat out less (read: we have to cook our own food). I quickly learned that cereal and yogurt is not an appropriate meal for a man, so I’ve had to step up my game and actually cook. It has been surprisingly fun, even though I still don’t know what I’m doing and we haven’t branched out to too many creative dishes. The other day I put together a delicious chicken casserole with random ingredients from our pantry, which was a small but important victory for me. I guess maybe I will be able to feed our children properly.
I am getting married in 4 months from yesterday. Woohoo! Cannot wait.
Exercise is good for me. This is nothing "new" to me, but I definitely got into a rut over the winter months and forgot how great I feel after a good workout. I think it helps that I joined a new gym and love it. The one near us is generally pretty quiet, small but with all equipment you could ever want, and I don't feel intimidated by any hardcore athletes that I used to see at the larger gyms. It feels good to have renewed motivation. Here's goodbye to several extra pounds!
I need electricity. We woke up the other morning to no electricity, and needless to say, it was not a great start to my day. I could barely put on make-up by candlelight, and without a hair dryer, my hair was a huge wavy frizz-ball all day. Blah. To top it off, I had to rummage through the closet in the dark to find something not wrinkled to wear, since I couldn’t use the iron (and am too lazy to iron ahead of time). So I had messy make-up, frizzy hair, and clothes I wish I wasn’t wearing. What a wonderful day it was. Only a few minutes after I left for work, Jon called to gloat that the electricity came back on. Figures!
I can cook! Until recently, I had never really given myself the chance in the kitchen. I would often second guess my abilities (and rightfully so, as I have made a disaster of a number of meals in my day). Now living with Jon and being on the tight budget we are, we have been trying to eat out less (read: we have to cook our own food). I quickly learned that cereal and yogurt is not an appropriate meal for a man, so I’ve had to step up my game and actually cook. It has been surprisingly fun, even though I still don’t know what I’m doing and we haven’t branched out to too many creative dishes. The other day I put together a delicious chicken casserole with random ingredients from our pantry, which was a small but important victory for me. I guess maybe I will be able to feed our children properly.
I am getting married in 4 months from yesterday. Woohoo! Cannot wait.
Flowers are completely ridiculous! That is why we had no decorative flowers at the ceremony and reception! I just couldn't justify the cost, even though I had always wanted floral centerpieces.
ReplyDeleteI had a day with no electricity before work once...worst day ever. I had to skip showering all together and I did my makeup at work. I felt like a slob all day! It really threw off my whole day.
Yay for cooking! Andy and I still eat cereal for dinner a lot. I think I'd enjoy cooking, the though of actually getting started is pretty overwhelming.
I can't believe your wedding is only 4 months away! Time is flying.
Cooking is fun - once you get the hang of it! And a home cooked meal always taste better than eating out (and you usually have leftovers for lunch the next day which is awesome)! Of course living with a chef I have it a little easier but on the days he has to work late I do enjoy cooking for Colton and myself!
ReplyDeleteYeah for your wedding - it is coming up so fast! If you need help with anything just let me know.
4 MONTHS!!!?? What what?! I concur with Betsy, time is FLYING. Craziness.
ReplyDeleteI like to eat at home, but I have absolutely no kitchen/cooking instincts whatsoever. I suck at it, but I try. Last night I made meatloaf, baked potatoes, and a salad. The baked potatoes were still rock hard when the meat loaf was done, and I had to finish cooking them in the microwave. And they were gross, which I don't think I can blame on my cooking, more my grocery shopping skills... I think I must have grabbed a couple weird kinds of potatoes. Anyway, the point is, that is the kind of thing that happens every time I cook.
Oh, and I try to throw together little casserole things with crap in my pantry all the time, and it almost always turns out horrible. Like I said, no cooking instincts whatsoever. Though my go-to is now a nice and easy stir fry, inspired by Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, which I was obsessed with. Grab your wok, cook up some chicken with olive oil, garlic, ginger, parsley, whatever spices you want... add whatever veggies you have (we always have in our fridge red/yellow/green bell peppers, carrots, onions, tomatoes, peas)... add cooked spaghetti noodles and a whole bunch of soy sauce, and it's seriously DELICIOUS.
Sorry this comment is so freaking long. Why don't I just update my blog, rather than leaving page-long comments on my friend's blogs? Lazy.
I have to say that it is reassuring to hear that people still eat cereal for dinner and that I’m not the only one that can’t coordinate timing while cooking! I swear, something always gets done way before the rest and then gets cold.
ReplyDeleteAlicia, I will definitely try your stir-fry suggestion! But first, I will register for a wok. :)
Oh my goodness 4 months! I can't wait :)
ReplyDelete