What's new?

We are down to the single digits - only 9 days to the big day!  I couldn't be happier, though I can't fool myself that these next 8 days won't be insanely busy and probably a tad bit stressful.  But both Jon and I have out-of-state siblings flying in this weekend, plans for the State Fair with them all, and even a date night for just the two of us this Friday, so we have a lot of fun to look forward to amidst the craze.

As a typical bride, all of my focus has been on the day itself, how to throw a most wonderful event that lived up to my dreams and wouldn't be a bore to our guests.  I successfully avoided becoming a bridezilla (at least I think I have), and I am quite pleased with how Jon and I have put together this little shindig.  We're hoping it will be a fabulous day!

Today, however, I realized everything that would be new after we say "I do."  Oh man!

New Name:  Holy moly, this one really baffles me.  I will have a new last name in 9 days!  How in the world does a person switch to a new name at the blink of an eye, when you've lived your whole life with one name?  I expect many slip-ups to come, that is for sure.  Today I tried signing my new name for the first time.  Tried.  My new last name looked like a child's first attempt at cursive, even as short as it is.  The flow from my first name to last just wasn't there, so I've got some practicing to do.  :)  I am, however, very excited to join their clan and look forward to fewer mispronunciations in my future.

New Status:  I will finally get to check the "married" box!  I have to say I'm quite happy about that.  The rest goes without saying.

New Family:  Instead of just one large circle of family, I will have two.  Two giant circles, I should add.  Seriously, if we had extended our wedding invitations to children of our guests, we would have had at least 30 kids there, and that was just within our families.  New parents-in-law, siblings-in-law, nephews, cousins...part of my life now, for all certainty.  They are great and have made me feel welcomed right from the start.  I absolutely Ah-DORE Jon's grandmother, and since both of mine have passed I am thrilled to have her in my life.  She even made me embroidered dish towels for my bridal shower gift, like my own grandmother would have, which to this day still brings tears to my eyes and reminds me of her.  Aren't grandmothers just so wonderful??   

New Paperwork:  Gah.  Perhaps the only not fun part.  My mind spins thinking about all the places that I exist in this world with my current name that will need updating.  I've heard from some friends that it's not so bad, others have said it was...guess I will soon find out.  TheKnot.com decided to change my name for me...9 days early.  They clearly have my wedding date on file, so not sure how that happened, but I changed it back.  I get to hold onto my last name for a bit longer!

It really is all a bit surreal, and I fear it will come and go so quickly.  So for these last 9 days, I will make the most of it, not stress out, stay healthy, and look forward to all the great things coming my way!  And then we can RELAX. 

Comments

  1. All the new stuff is so fun and so worth it! Looking back at the paperwork stuff, it seemed overwhelming and stressful at the time, but it really wasn't. Just try to do it all in one day. Go to the social security office and then head to the DMV all in one day. And then you can either go online or call to change your name on your credit cards. If I remember correctly, all you need to change your name on your bank information is your marriage license, and you should have that pretty quick after you're married. Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow only 9 days - well actually today it is only 3 days away! It is awesome to have a new extended family (although it does make holidays a bit more hectic but of course a lot more fun as well)! Can't wait to help you celebrate your big day, see you in 3 days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Fall 2015

Annabel - 18 months