Hello, 2011

2011 has gotten off to a pretty good start. I’ve definitely appreciated the downtime after a very busy December, but I have also found it hard to go from all sorts of fun activity with family and friends to not much of anything. I can’t remember when we’ve had so many free nights/weekends to do whatever we want! The possibilities are endless. But, it’s been cold and snowy, so we’ve spent most of our time cozied up at home with movies and games. Not all bad though.

We rang in the new year with dinner and a movie with Jon’s parents and aunt and uncle. We were home in time to watch the ball drop in Times Square, though we could have probably cared less. At what age did the new year lose its excitement exactly? Despite our lack of enthusiasm for the countdown, we are definitely looking forward to hopefully a wonderful year!

A bunch of us girls got together for brunch a couple of weeks ago to celebrate the holidays, and let me tell you, it was delicious. DE-licious. And super fun to catch up with everyone – these women are so great! I could have stayed there all day, eating strawberry waffles and drinking mimosas and visiting. We must go back. Soon.

Last Saturday, we spent the day with Jon’s family watching his nephews’ hockey games. One of the games was outdoors, and lordy was it cold out! I undoubtedly do not have the right boots for spending an hour in single digit temperatures, though I tried (and failed) to make up for it by wearing other layers. Fortunately the second game was indoors, yet those rinks are still chilly. I am just not a winter girl, and it doesn’t help that my circulation issues make it very painful to be cold. The boys were fun to watch though – one win (with a hat trick even) and one close but unfortunate loss.
We then spent the evening celebrating a birthday and watching Jon and the boys wrestle and play with their two boxers. (Dogs, not underwear, if that wasn’t obvious). One of the dogs loooves Jon, thinks of him as his chew toy, so they usually spend a good deal of time on the living room floor playing when we visit. Boys will be boys. Of course the dog’s version of playing is growling and jumping and nibbling at Jon’s ears, hands, neck, etc. – sounds like fun, no? I remember being absolutely shocked the first time I saw the dog jump on Jon’s back and start going at his ears. Fortunately I quickly realized he was not hurting Jon at all, and the dog seriously loves him. I’m pretty sure the feeling is mutual.

Last night we saw The Fighter. I had heard good reviews, from both critics and friends, and it definitely lived up to the hype. One of the movie theaters near us offers $1 popcorn and $1 soda for “Stimulus Tuesdays”, so added to a $5 movie ticket, you can’t go wrong. It’s the only time we can go to a movie that’s relatively affordable. Tuesday is not usually my preferred night to leave the house after a long day at work, nor is any weekday night for that matter. The most I can usually muster on those nights is a workout, make dinner, and then crash on the couch to catch up on Facebook, TV, or the occasional work. But when you can get the true movie experience, popcorn and all, for a decent price, leaving the house on a Tuesday night is a-oh-kay with me. It seems we aren’t the only fans of Stimulus Tuesdays in the family, as we ran into my mother-in-law and Jon’s aunt while in line getting popcorn. Ha!

So, 2011, let's see what else you have in store for us this year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Winter 2015

Tales of a trip to Brazil, Part 1