Farewell, Grandpa

Yesterday we buried my grandpa Ozzie.  And it was both a blessing and a plain, old sad, sad day.  He lived all 97 years of his life to his fullest, and though we never wanted to see him go, we knew it was his time. 

My grandpa was one of the kindest human beings I ever knew.  He cared so much for his family and truly put everyone before himself.  He always loved a good laugh, a beautiful day on the golf course, and of course pie - any and all kinds.  (I am almost certain I get my sweet tooth from him).  He made sure all of his grandchildren had the means to get a great education, he spoiled us all with gifts, and he loved to hear everything we were up to.  He served as a cryptographer in Africa during WWII, which I think has to be the most interesting position ever.  He was a gentleman through and through, always holding the door open for everyone else and greeting people he both knew and didn't know.  I can't say enough about this man that made our family as wonderful as it is.

I was fortunate that Jon was able to meet him, my last living grandparent, and my heart nearly melted to pieces when Jon shook his hand two years ago and asked him if he had his approval to marry me - my grandpa responded with a big smile and an "Ohhhhh yeahhhhhhh."  He couldn't travel to attend my wedding, but knowing that he seemed happy that I had met my match made all the difference.

The last several years have been tough on him, particularly the last few months.  We all celebrated his 97th birthday with him in the summer, and while he couldn't speak or really interact much, I hoped deep down he knew what we were celebrating and who we were.  Whether we liked it or not, we knew he was ready to go. 

It makes me sad that he is gone, but I find comfort in that he is at peace, at last with his wife of 57 years again.  The entire family was able to celebrate his legacy yesterday, and I hope he is proud of everything that he has accomplished in his life. 

Love you, Grandpa! 

Comments

  1. Lovey post buddy. So sorry about your grandpa--it's so hard to say good-bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Lisa! So sorry to hear about your grandpa - he sounds like he was a wonderful human being and I'm so glad that you were able to enjoy so many wonderful years together. Lots of love,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brought tears to my eyes!! nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandpa sounds like a wonderful man! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Fall 2015

Annabel - 18 months