Golf and a funny gift
My husband, dad, and I went golfing on Good Friday at my old stomping grounds from high school. It was a beautiful sunny day and so wonderful to not be at work. But it was no ordinary day of golf, because my husband had a gift for me. I should have known he was up to something, because he ran off to Target that morning while I was in the shower and came back with a strange excuse and a bag of chocolates. But, I clearly haven't learned better in the 4 years I've known him, so I accepted the excuse and moved on.
Later on at the golf course on the first tee, he pulled a kid's plastic sand shovel out of his bag and handed it to me, saying that he got it for me to help me out of the sand. Ha. Funniest gift ever.
A little cocky, you might say, thinking I'd need help out of the sand? Well, he unfortunately had good reason. The weekend prior I played one of the worst rounds ever, after getting stuck in a sandtrap and taking 6 shots to get out. (That is really really bad, if you aren't familiar with golf). It was a steep sandtrap, and my ball kept getting caught on the edge of it, flying straight up in the air, and dropping back at my feet. That happened 4 times. My college coach would certainly not be proud, but unlike my college tournament days I did not cry. The 5th time it popped up and into the sandtrap to the side. By this time, I had had it and wished I were done, so I wound up the biggest swing I had and hit it out...to the sandtrap on the other side of the green. Blast. I finally finished the hole, a bit embarrassed, but greatly relieved and glad I could entertain Jon.
So, it only makes sense that he bought me this shovel, right?
I thankfully didn't need the shovel that day, but my dad gave it a shot.
Later on at the golf course on the first tee, he pulled a kid's plastic sand shovel out of his bag and handed it to me, saying that he got it for me to help me out of the sand. Ha. Funniest gift ever.
A little cocky, you might say, thinking I'd need help out of the sand? Well, he unfortunately had good reason. The weekend prior I played one of the worst rounds ever, after getting stuck in a sandtrap and taking 6 shots to get out. (That is really really bad, if you aren't familiar with golf). It was a steep sandtrap, and my ball kept getting caught on the edge of it, flying straight up in the air, and dropping back at my feet. That happened 4 times. My college coach would certainly not be proud, but unlike my college tournament days I did not cry. The 5th time it popped up and into the sandtrap to the side. By this time, I had had it and wished I were done, so I wound up the biggest swing I had and hit it out...to the sandtrap on the other side of the green. Blast. I finally finished the hole, a bit embarrassed, but greatly relieved and glad I could entertain Jon.
So, it only makes sense that he bought me this shovel, right?
I thankfully didn't need the shovel that day, but my dad gave it a shot.
All in all it was a fabulous day. Best of all, I beat my dad that round! It doesn't happen very often at all, so I have to enjoy it when I can. :-)
That is hilarious! Congrats on beating dad!
ReplyDeleteFunny! You could no doubt kick my butt any day! Glad you got out on a work day and enjoyed the nice weather!
ReplyDeleteFantastic story. I pitured a tiny shovel. That thing is huge!
ReplyDeleteI am with Angela, I was picturing one of those little sand shovels the size of your hand.... you could have really done some damage with the one he got you! Jon is too funny... and I think it is hilarious that you didn't really question why he ran to Target that morning! Glad you had fun, maybe someday you can teach me how to play golf (or better yet explain what is so exciting about it... hitting a ball into no mans land and then having to go find it back sounds very tiring to me)!
ReplyDeleteThat is too funny. What a clever hubby you have ;)
ReplyDeleteDude, Gus got that EXACT same shovel from the Easter Bunny. You guys should play in his sandbox together when Dan finally gets time to build it. ;) (One of the many projects on his to-do list.)
ReplyDeleteLOL. Can't think of a better reason to use my shovel, so I'm in. (After all, we all know I don't really need a shovel to golf). Tell Dan to get on that sandbox!
Delete