Life lately

Life hasn't been terribly exciting lately, but for the sake of blogging about something, I've jotted down a few things over the last couple of weeks.  I can't really make this much of a cohesive post, so bulleted comments about 'life lately' will have to do.
 
  • I love that it is finally light out when I leave for work in the morning.  There's nothing more depressing than leaving in the dark and coming home in the dark, so yay for Spring.  I've also gotten to witness a few really awesome sunrises as I leave our neighborhood, which makes the early hour a little more bareable.


  • We enjoyed a lovely Mother's Day with both of our families. Grilled burgers, salad, and pie for lunch, and Chinese takeout and pie for dinner.  Yes, I ate two giant pieces of pie that day - I figured it was for a good cause.  ;)  Oh, and my mother and mother-in-law are pretty awesome.

  • At the airport last week, I was in line buying some water and an overpriced scone before my flight.  There was a huge, slow line, which was annoying.  A man to the side of me getting coffee stepped right in front of me in line, then said something like, "Oh, do you mind?  I was already in line, just had to get something."  Riiight.  So I said sure but made a face.  He definitely saw my reaction, so then I was super embarrassed and avoided eye contact with him.  Even though I truly was annoyed, I wouldn't dare show it, even if it was a stranger.  I'm a dork.  Anyways, when it was my turn to pay, I was told that the gentleman in front of me had left $6 towards my purchase.  How sweet is that?  And then I felt even more embarrassed at my reaction.  Random acts of kindness (or paying off a lady to bud in line)...pretty nice way to start the day!

  • I experienced my first crawfish boil last week.  I was in Arkansas for a program for work, and we had arranged a crawfish boil for lunch because it was wildly popular there.  I met the live little buggers before they hit the boil, though I had to be convinced to get so close.  Their pinchers looked painful, even if they were small.  They tasted pretty good, but there was no way I was spending so much time breaking them apart for meat the size of a quarter.


  • My husband got us a Crowdcut deal on a cleaning service for three visits.  We've never hired cleaners, mostly because I don't feel our house gets that dirty with just the two of us and I have time to clean.  But, it's difficult for my husband to pass up a good deal, and frankly I was very willing to let someone else give the bathrooms and kitchen a good cleaning for once.  They did a decent job, but of course couldn't get the showers as clean as we'd like without "extra {expensive} deep clean service."  Plus, I've realized that having a cleaning service means you still have to do quite a bit of pick up/cleaning anyways, which is good as it gets us to keep things orderly, but bad because it always seems to be an annoying frantic rush the night before they come.  I'm sure some day we'd appreciate the service more. 

  • Now that many of the TV shows I watch are done for the summer, last night I found myself watching "Man-eating Super Croc" because nothing else was on.  (Ok, plenty was on, but somehow I settled on this being the best option).  Oh. My. God.  There is a 29 foot crocodile in the Philippines that is eating people, and they can't catch it.  So disturbing.  I clearly need a new hobby to fill my evenings, or I will be watching other equally terrible television, like the tree man that has bark growing all over his body (oh wait, I've seen that) or that awful crazy obsession show where people drink their own urine and eat laundry detergent.  I will say that I am super pumped that Whale Wars is starting up again next week.  I find that show so fascinating.

  • We've been golfing a few times this year, most recently up in Hinkley.  Jon had a free hotel stay so we figured why not.  It was a stunning sunny day, and there was hardly anyone out on the course, so we could go at our own pace (usually faster than most) and take our time when we wanted to.  Like for me to take pictures.  :)  Jon still loves to golf way more frequently than I do, which is sometimes a challenge.  He'd like to play every single weekend, whereas I like to play maybe every other and do other things too.  I've been playing golf since I was 12 with 4 years practicing almost every day (he only the last 5-6 years), so I'm at the stage where I'm content with my game, good or bad, and just want to enjoy being out on the course, whereas he's trying to improve and wants to practice often.  Not always easy to find a balance for us both, but we manage and compromise.  Like all good marriages, I guess.  :)

Comments

  1. So good to catch up with you! 1) I love that the guy paid for part of your purchase! Awesome. 2) I'd kill for a cleaning service! 3) Your TV talk cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Props for trying crawfish, I am not as brave as you are! And yes that was nice of the guy to pay for some of your purchase... although he knew budding in line was wrong so he was just doing it to make himself feel better (how sad, I can't even accept that someone would do something so nice for no reason at all)! As for Golf.... I think you are both nuts! Golf just seems like a lot of work - hit the ball and then go find it, hit the ball and then go find it and you have to do that for several hours (yup, don't think I would last)! I will stick to mini golf, I always know exactly where my brightly colored ball is and there is a good chance I will get a hole in one on every game!

    Now to the TV - we only watch the Animal Planet, Food Network, History Channel and A&E, so I know exactly what shows you are talking about. I have no idea what is going on locally or the predicted weather for the next couple days but I can tell you all about weird obsessions and crazy animal finds (I wish they would find bigfoot one of these episodes cause that show kills me the most... they spend a lot of money looking but never find a squatch anywhere)! Okay long enough rant. Hope you have a great Memorial Weekend and I can't wait for our Digital Photography Class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahah! I love random bulleted lists of what's going on with people, and laughed out loud at your reality show commentary.

    First, mmmmm... pie. I haven't had pie in ages, jealous.

    Agreed on the stress of running around to pick up the night before a cleaning service comes. Totally get this. I call BS though on the deep clean extra service charge for getting your shower clean. You guys basically have a brand new townhome practically, that thing is shiny and new and I don't believe for a second that a regular cleaning of the shower isn't enough. I hate when those places nickel and dime you. So yeah, BS cleaning service people with your extra fees!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Winter 2015

Tales of a trip to Brazil, Part 1