Jet lag

A 15-hour journey later, and I'm home, in my pjs on my own couch.  Ahhhhh, it feels good.  It's been quite the week.  Jet lag, accompanied by a busy work schedule, leads to a very confused and tired body.  We'll see if I can stay up until 9 or 10 tonight.

I did sleep 11.5 hours that first night there, and felt amazing the next day.  We ran around the hotel, stuffing packets and printing documents, getting ready for our guests.  I met one of our VIPs at the heliport where we had him transferred from the airport to our hotel...by helicopter, if that wasn't obvious.  Oh to be important enough to get to arrive by helicopter. 

However, the jet lag really caught up to me, and I had a hard time sleeping that second night (and every subsequent night).  I was even told to head back to the hotel early during one of our events because I was taking the early (4:30am) shift the following morning.  That night I fell asleep at 1am, 4 hours after going to bed.   It was so frustrating, because I was clearly exhausted and wanted nothing more than to sleep.  At least some of those sleepless moments were entertained by FaceTiming my husband and in-laws, checking Facebook, and playing Scramble with Friends.  Have I mentioned I love my iPhone?

All in all, I was lucky to sleep 4 or 5 hours a night, and I know, I have nothing to complain about.  I know people (mothers) that get that regularly, so I should suck it up and deal with one single week.  But, it hit me hard, and I was not used to it.  Add to that having to be accommodating and friendly and host 50 people for 3 days straight, rarely leaving the hotel, and a whole new level of exhaustion kicked in.

But in the end, it was also quite a bit of fun.  Definitely better than sitting in the office all week, though I was in the hotel most of the time anyway.  It rained.  A lot.  We did have sunshine the last day we were there, and I just so happened to have a little downtime to get out and explore with my camera, which I have yet to upload.

I won't go into any details, mostly because I can't and don't want to talk about work online, but I will say that it was very interesting having people from different countries attend our program.  The cultural differences, though all European, were very evident.  There was the boisterous, rowdy group, the ones that were always late, the quiet, mellow ones that kept to themselves, and the "I'll do what I want and make my own rules" group.  So interesting to observe (though also frustrating at times, especially those late-comers). 

The guests definitely made the most of the nightlife there, so they had little sleep as well.  Some were arriving back at the hotel at 4:30am when I was up for the day sending off a VIP to the airport.  Many were still intoxicated (and pretty hilarious) in the mornings as they attended sessions or headed off to the airport. 

So little sleep was all around, but it was a success.  I feel fortunate to have gotten the chance to staff it. 

BUT I have to admit, I'm thrilled to be sleeping in my own bed tonight.  Let's hope I'll be sleeping, anyways. 

Comments

  1. Dude, you have every right to feel exhausted, sleep deprivation hits you quickly! Don't think that just because I have a terrible little bunch of tiny non-sleepers on my hand that I don't realize that other people get tired too. ;) I don't have a monopoly on being tired.

    Woot! Can't wait to hear all about your trip, your job is so glamorous, I will live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jet lag is tough! I always find coming home worse, but hopefully not for you since you already had a tough time adjusting there. Can't wait to see some photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was a fabulous trip!! Just like Alicia said, your job sounds soooo glamorous. I can't wait to hear all the details!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment