Fourth of July

This year’s Fourth of July was nice.  We didn’t have much planned, and we were ok with that.  We spent the morning being lazy around the house, and around noon we decided to head to the pool.  I’d been itching to get there this year, but weekend weather up until now had been rainy or cloudy.  We’ve learned that the lunch hour is a perfect time for us DINKs to go, as the masses of children are usually being dragged back indoors for lunch and naps.  Don’t get me wrong, kids are cute.  But we want lounge chairs, and to not get splashed, and to enjoy a somewhat shriek-free experience.  (Kids are LOUD).
 It was great.  There were still plenty of children, but we found some free chairs, set ourselves up with our iPods and drinks, and all was good.  Unfortunately, we got carried away and didn’t put on sunscreen very promptly, and found ourselves pretty sunburned by the night.  I could kick myself for being so stupid, but I was so eager to enjoy the sun and get a little color on my pasty self, it didn’t dawn on me until it was too late.  But it was nothing that some aloe and hydration couldn’t cure (minus a severe prickly itch attack two days later that almost had me in tears). 
After the pool, we ran a few errands, grabbed a late lunch, and packed up for our trip to Alpine Valley the next day.  That evening, we thought we’d go check out the fireworks in Stillwater.  It’s so gorgeous there, and I was eager to take photos.  Unfortunately, the ENTIRE WORLD was also going to Stillwater for this occasion, so it took us awhile to get into town and then find parking.  We got lucky with a spot several blocks up the hill, thankfully.  We headed down to the river in search of a spot in the grassy area along the river.  Ha.  Yeah right.  We ended up sitting on a blanket next to a car in the parking lot – classy.
 
By the time the fireworks started, we realized a big tree was in our way, so we got up and ran to a spot where we could see, along with 100s of other people that were blocked by the same tree.  It was actually pretty amusing to see everyone jump up and run so quickly.  But what’s the point of being there if you can’t see the show?

The show was quite impressive.  I can’t remember the last time I saw so many cool fireworks.  I was able to get quite a few neat photos, and my life was complete.  Ok, I lie, but I was happy I got the photos.
 
 
(Not great quality, but taken from iPhone on reverse camera, hence no flash) 
We then booked it several blocks up a very steep hill to our car, to try to get out of there before the rest of the world.  Stillwater is not an easy place to get to and from, with limited roads.  But I still adore the place.
All in all it was a nice holiday.  I do miss the days when we’d head out of town with friends for the holiday weekend and play games, drink, swim, and lounge.  So many fond memories.  But times have changed, families have grown, and that’s ok.  I had a nice day with the hubby. 

Comments

  1. Your fireworks photos are amazing... you must tell me how to got some clear and colorful shots! And Stillwater is beautiful but you are right that it is a horrible town for parking and trying to get into and out of when there are big events like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know your firework photo technique too! Gorgeous and amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Fall 2015

Annabel - 18 months