Getting back into shape
This last winter was not kind to me, or my body. The holidays were all sorts of sugary and carb-loaded. The snow and cold made a ridiculously long appearance. I got too comfortable on the couch. A myriad of other things happened.
As a result, I found myself shopping for clothing a pant size bigger, which is something no woman wants to have to do. Ever. I realized I was in a rut. I could never get myself to the gym, and while I did work out on my treadmill somewhat regularly, I didn't push myself hard. I was lazy - I didn't want to get all sweaty because I didn't feel like showering again. I started Jillian Michael's 30-day Shred several times, and did it for a few days at a time, long enough to make every muscle in my body ache, and then I stopped. Of course I didn't see results - it's not named "30-day Shred" for nothing.
A month or two ago, Alicia suggested that we try a class. Whether she realized it or not, she was helping me get out of my deep rut. A Zumba class was available by her house for an excellent price, so we thought we'd give it a try.
Much to our delight, we were greeted with a huge smile by Kirk Dewindt, former bachelor on the Bachelorette a couple of years ago. He is a personal trainer there, and a hot one at that. I admit that it made going a little more exciting. Celebrity sighting!
He has never been shirtless, unfortunately, but he always smiles and says hi. Everyone there is really nice.
I was nervous about the class. I am not a dancer. I have very little natural rhythm. I have dreamed of doing choreographed dance moves but was never brave enough to get into any type of dance. I dance around at home like a fool, but never in public. In my college years, my friends had to drag me out onto the dance floor, and even then I'd only succomb if the floor was crowded and I could bop around somewhat unnoticed.
Our first class was free, to see if we liked it. It turns out, we both loved it! Alicia probably looks like a pro (I am too busy staring either at myself in the mirror or at the instructor watching the moves, so I don't really know what she looks like doing it), and I like a fool. But the great thing about this class is that there are people of all levels, ages, and experience. You can't feel embarrassed by the hip thrusting and booty shaking, as everyone is doing it. Though I was embarrassed the first time. I stared at the instructor's behind and wondered how in the world I would do that move.
Most of the music is fun, which makes it more entertaining. We've done salsa and merengue and cumbia, which always bring me back to my Costa Rica days. We've done Bollywood dance (think ending dance in Slumdog Millionaire). We've done hip hop, which makes me feel really white. And sprinkled in there are squats, jumps, twists, and leg movements for toning. There was one substitute teacher that had us do all sorts of African tribal stuff, which was slow and boring and not our style.
I think we both felt like the first class or two was a little intimidating, and overwhelming. Learning 10-12 new choreographs is not easy. Fortunately, much of it is repetitive during the song, and for the most part they are the same week to week, so I feel like I'm getting the hang of it.
I can't say that Zumba has helped me lose any unwanted weight, but I am definitely more toned. We burn up to 800-900 calories per session, which is awesome compared to what I was doing. I'd love to go more often, but because it is not close to my home, it's a little tougher to stop by if I have a free hour after work. I stay at my parents, which is great and convenient, but I don't get much else accomplished those nights. No laundry, dishes, or things around the house, no seeing Jon, no catching up on our TV shows, no sleeping in my own bed... Once a week is working out perfectly. Plus we get some girl time in afterwards, usually over a Pacifico and some chips and salsa. We earned it.
Now that the weather is nice, I am trying to get outdoors and more active on several of the other days of the week. On Saturday, we laid around all morning watching TV. I found myself feeling antsy and guilty that I wasn't being more productive. So I talked Jon into going for a run. Except he bikes while I run. We've done this in the past, and it's nice. He rides next to me awhile, then races off around the neighborhood and finds me again later.
On this day, I decided to download an app to track how far I go. And I'm in love with this thing. I got the one called RunKeeper, which tracks you via GPS, tells you how far you go, charts your level of activity, tracks your pace, etc. I headed out on Saturday, with a mixture of running and walking, all around our neighborhood. We have some really nice wooded walking paths all throughout our area. Jon caught up to me, and we continued on. It was hot, and I was working hard, but it felt great. We ended up going 4.9 miles in total, which amazed me. I would say I ran 50% of the time, maybe more?
I hope that by tracking my activity I'll keep it up. The app does have a reminder built into it, so if I haven't done anything in 3 days it will hopefully shame me into getting out there. :)
First half of the year score: Weight 1, Lisa 0.
Second half of the year - watch out.
As a result, I found myself shopping for clothing a pant size bigger, which is something no woman wants to have to do. Ever. I realized I was in a rut. I could never get myself to the gym, and while I did work out on my treadmill somewhat regularly, I didn't push myself hard. I was lazy - I didn't want to get all sweaty because I didn't feel like showering again. I started Jillian Michael's 30-day Shred several times, and did it for a few days at a time, long enough to make every muscle in my body ache, and then I stopped. Of course I didn't see results - it's not named "30-day Shred" for nothing.
A month or two ago, Alicia suggested that we try a class. Whether she realized it or not, she was helping me get out of my deep rut. A Zumba class was available by her house for an excellent price, so we thought we'd give it a try.
Much to our delight, we were greeted with a huge smile by Kirk Dewindt, former bachelor on the Bachelorette a couple of years ago. He is a personal trainer there, and a hot one at that. I admit that it made going a little more exciting. Celebrity sighting!
I mean, OMG.
He has never been shirtless, unfortunately, but he always smiles and says hi. Everyone there is really nice.
I was nervous about the class. I am not a dancer. I have very little natural rhythm. I have dreamed of doing choreographed dance moves but was never brave enough to get into any type of dance. I dance around at home like a fool, but never in public. In my college years, my friends had to drag me out onto the dance floor, and even then I'd only succomb if the floor was crowded and I could bop around somewhat unnoticed.
Our first class was free, to see if we liked it. It turns out, we both loved it! Alicia probably looks like a pro (I am too busy staring either at myself in the mirror or at the instructor watching the moves, so I don't really know what she looks like doing it), and I like a fool. But the great thing about this class is that there are people of all levels, ages, and experience. You can't feel embarrassed by the hip thrusting and booty shaking, as everyone is doing it. Though I was embarrassed the first time. I stared at the instructor's behind and wondered how in the world I would do that move.
Most of the music is fun, which makes it more entertaining. We've done salsa and merengue and cumbia, which always bring me back to my Costa Rica days. We've done Bollywood dance (think ending dance in Slumdog Millionaire). We've done hip hop, which makes me feel really white. And sprinkled in there are squats, jumps, twists, and leg movements for toning. There was one substitute teacher that had us do all sorts of African tribal stuff, which was slow and boring and not our style.
I think we both felt like the first class or two was a little intimidating, and overwhelming. Learning 10-12 new choreographs is not easy. Fortunately, much of it is repetitive during the song, and for the most part they are the same week to week, so I feel like I'm getting the hang of it.
I can't say that Zumba has helped me lose any unwanted weight, but I am definitely more toned. We burn up to 800-900 calories per session, which is awesome compared to what I was doing. I'd love to go more often, but because it is not close to my home, it's a little tougher to stop by if I have a free hour after work. I stay at my parents, which is great and convenient, but I don't get much else accomplished those nights. No laundry, dishes, or things around the house, no seeing Jon, no catching up on our TV shows, no sleeping in my own bed... Once a week is working out perfectly. Plus we get some girl time in afterwards, usually over a Pacifico and some chips and salsa. We earned it.
Now that the weather is nice, I am trying to get outdoors and more active on several of the other days of the week. On Saturday, we laid around all morning watching TV. I found myself feeling antsy and guilty that I wasn't being more productive. So I talked Jon into going for a run. Except he bikes while I run. We've done this in the past, and it's nice. He rides next to me awhile, then races off around the neighborhood and finds me again later.
On this day, I decided to download an app to track how far I go. And I'm in love with this thing. I got the one called RunKeeper, which tracks you via GPS, tells you how far you go, charts your level of activity, tracks your pace, etc. I headed out on Saturday, with a mixture of running and walking, all around our neighborhood. We have some really nice wooded walking paths all throughout our area. Jon caught up to me, and we continued on. It was hot, and I was working hard, but it felt great. We ended up going 4.9 miles in total, which amazed me. I would say I ran 50% of the time, maybe more?
I hope that by tracking my activity I'll keep it up. The app does have a reminder built into it, so if I haven't done anything in 3 days it will hopefully shame me into getting out there. :)
First half of the year score: Weight 1, Lisa 0.
Second half of the year - watch out.

Love this post! I have found myself gaining back the pounds that I worked so hard to lose and it terrifies me to my core (I said I would never go back to my big round face and I feel like I am on my way)! I think I might have to get that app, I think the idea of knowing exactly how far I went and how long it took me would really push me (I am the competitive, even if I am in competition with myself)! It is so hard some night to come home after work and not just sit and relax but I will find a way to get better. Once into a routine it is a lot easier so we just need to get that routine established! Thanks for the post, you have motivated me to get my butt in gear. Bring in on second half of the year!
ReplyDeleteLOOOOOOOOVE!
ReplyDeleteZumba has been really great for me too. I feel more motivated during the rest of my life to work out when I have the chance, and I've even somewhat committed to eating a little better since I started to notice my stomach seeming a little less flabby. I truly owe it all to Zumba. And The Bachelor of course. ;)
You go girl!!!
ReplyDeleteWhen I first saw that photo of you on Instagram I totally thought you were biking too! 5 miles running is amazing even if you walked some. Way to go!
ReplyDelete