Coffee


My love for coffee began while I lived in Costa Rica.  I didn’t drink it regularly, but often enough.  Café con leche…mmmmmm, there’s nothing better.  I taught English classes at a coffeeplantation, and snacked on chocolate-covered coffee beans every day.  Yeah, that definitely fueled my taste for it.

When I moved home, I started working “an office job” and my morning cup of java became a routine quickly.  I bought myself a 4-cup coffee maker, as it didn’t take me long to realize that I was missing it on the weekends.  It wasn’t the caffeine that I craved, but the ritual of a hot beverage in the morning.

I became a coffee addict in no time.

Fast forward a couple of years to when I met Jon. He is not a coffee drinker - boo.  So when I would stay at his place (after a long time dating of course…hi Mom and Dad), I really missed my coffee in the morning. A time or two I got up early and drove to the nearest gas station to get my fix.  Jon thought I was crazy. I then started stocking his fridge with Starbucks Frappuccinos.  It wasn’t a hot drink, but still delicious coffee, and convenient.  I think it was our second Christmas that Jon bought me a coffee maker for “his house.”  Ah yes, life was good.

A year ago, I realized how addicted I had become to coffee.  I noticed that on the rare days I didn’t have a cup of coffee, I had terrible headaches.  I was miserable.  I felt off.  The caffeine fix had a hold on me, a much stronger one than I ever expected.  I hated the feeling that I had become so dependent on caffeine.  Soda never really affected me in that way, though I didn’t drink it regularly.  But coffee, oh sweet coffee…


And so, because I was fearful of how much this little daily cup of coffee controlled how I felt, I decided to switch to decaf.  It. Was. Hard.  But I got there, over the hump of daily headaches, and still enjoyed my routine of a hot cup of coffee, sans the bad stuff

Fast more forward to last month.  Jon bought me a Kuerig for Christmas  GAH!  I’d been dreaming of having one some day, but because I was only drinking decaf and mostly at work I figured it didn't make sense right now.  I even specifically told Jon we did not need one after seeing a great sale one day.  (I learned later he went back the following day and bought it).  But I can't lie that I wasn't thrilled about having one.  And with every use I marvel at the convenience - no more trying to make small pots or spilled grounds or leftover coffee to discard.


However, it brought me out of my decaf routine, as it came with so many free k-cups of regular coffee that I couldn't bare to waste. So I am now very addicted to my morning cup of caffeinated joe again.  But you know, I don't really care.  I love coffee.  

Comments

  1. I am not a coffee drinker but somedays I will feel like I need to make myself like it just so I can feel like a grown up! And then I read something like this and I remind myself that I have enough addictions (pop and chocolate) so I do not need to add anymore! And the caffiene headaches are horrible... when I stopped drinking pop I thought I was doing to die but you do get through them. As for the Keurig, best thing ever! We have one too even though I dont drink coffee I do use it for hot chocolate all winter long! And Frankie likes coffee to this way he can enjoy a glass and not have to make an entire pot for himself.

    On a side note, I love the smell of coffee. I wish I could find a candle with that smell cuase I would light it every morning to help wake me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smell was what actually encouraged me to start drinking it. Well, that and peer pressure by my Costa Rican friends. :) You should try it - use lots of creamer at first!

      Delete
  2. Two things:
    1 - I heard on the radio the other day that people who drink coffee have more sex.
    2 - Your 3rd picture is the epitome of distracted driving, lol! Coffee in one hand, taking a picture in the other ;)

    I wish I liked coffee. I think life would be much easier (i.e. most places you go carry coffee for free, I wouldn't have to buy pop)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm bad for taking a photo while driving, with coffee in the other free hand... but to my defense, I did just hold up my phone and snap a few photos without even taking my eyes off the road. Also, #1 - what if only one of us drinks coffee? :)

      Delete
  3. Suzi that sex/coffee correlation is innnnnnteresting. ;)

    That first picture literally made me start drooling. Coffee is my life source.

    Also, there have been MANY a study that show that coffee is good for you. Too much cream and sugar, obviously, not. But coffee as a whole has many health benefits, and coffee drinkers are known to live longer and be healthier. Woot woot! I like to think, coffee has been around FOREVER, people have been drinking it FOREVER. Coffee is the bomb.

    Suzi/Mandy, you have to force yourself to drink it for a week or two, get some fancy creamer or something, or do half a cup off coffee mixed with half a cup of milk. I swear, it will only take a few weeks and you will like it. It is the same method I used for forcing myself to like beer in College. Both times it has been WORTH IT. ;)

    Check it:

    http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-02/why-coffee-good-you-here-are-7-reasons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You rock. This makes me feel better about being back on the caffeinated coffee train again. But if only I could drink it black...

      I don't anticipate giving it up ever again because I just love it too much. Everything in moderation, eh?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Winter 2015

Tales of a trip to Brazil, Part 1