28 weeks
27 weeks at Chianti grill, and 28 weeks at Afton Apple Orchard.
Baby is doing well and growing fast. While Baby Center tell me baby is the size of a large eggplant and should weigh
around 2 lbs 4 oz right now, I know for a fact my child weighs more than
that, as he/she was near that almost two weeks ago at our ultrasound! Looks
like I'm not destined for a 7 lb baby, but I can't say I ever expected I would
be. Baby can blink eyes, and perhaps even see the light that filters into
the womb. Also developing billions of neurons in his/her brain, which
just sounds so miraculous and crazy.
I've reached the third
trimester! Most people agree that it starts at week 27, or 26.6 days for sure, but others say it starts at 28 weeks. Regardless, I'm there.
Things are getting really real.
A week ago I had my glucose screening. For some reason, I was really nervous that I’d
fail it. I’m not sure why, except that I
figured it’d be my (bad) luck. The
dreaded orange drink wasn’t so bad…at first.
I am a fan of all things sugary, after all. However, by the time several sips had passed
down my throat, I could feel a stinging, terrible aftertaste. So yeah, I chugged the rest as fast as I
could. And prayed. On my way home from the appointment, I
stopped at Walgreens and, after careful consideration in the candy aisle, bought
a box of Mike and Ikes. If I did fail,
and possibly did have GD, I was going to enjoy one last sugar binge first. (Yes, this is how my mind operates). I inhaled the candy like it was my job, and
told my baby I hoped he/she enjoyed that because it could be the last sugar high for a while.
Seriously, I was being so dramatic.
Only a few hours later I got notification of my test results. PASSED with flying colors. Cue the trumpets, and cut the drama.
In the last two weeks, we have finally
finished the second coat of paint in the nursery (love the final gray look, even though in some light/angles it looks a tad more blue than gray - will post better pictures another day), figured out our
registries, and are currently assembling baby’s dresser (of a zillion pieces). I’m also making a few framed items to hang on
the walls and working on finishing a baby blanket my sweet grandmother was
crocheting when she passed away 11 years ago.
I won’t care if our baby is a girl and this blanket is blue and
white. Who says girls can’t like
blue? And honestly, it’s so full of love
from my grandmother, my mother (who helped me work on it years later
after I forgot the stitch pattern), and me.
It gives me goosebumps. Wish she were still around, all of my grandparents for that matter, to meet my little one, but I know they are sticking close to us in spirit.
I’m still feeling fairly good, but amazed at how it's affecting me physically. Getting up from the floor, or out
of bed, requires slow shifting movements with both arms.
Walking up the stairs takes extraordinary effort and leaves me
winded. Depending on how baby is
situated (usually down low head down), I feel like I’m already doing the slow waddle. My heart feels like
it’s racing most of the time, and I’ve never been hotter (in the literal, temperature sense). I get it, I’m growing
another whole person after all! Just never quite envisioned this far.
A day doesn't go by that I don't feel incredibly blessed. Twelve weeks (or more or less) and I'll be looking this baby in the eyes. Wow.
A day doesn't go by that I don't feel incredibly blessed. Twelve weeks (or more or less) and I'll be looking this baby in the eyes. Wow.


Yay for third trimester! I remember I was nervous about the glucose screening too, not sure why. Glad you passed with flying colors! I love the way your nursery is coming together and the fact that you are finishing grandma's blanket. So special!
ReplyDeleteYou guys were nervous about the glucose because of our family history!! Love that you are finishing Grandmas blanket.
ReplyDelete