21 Day Fail

Nearly a month ago I boasted how great my first week of the 21 Day Fix went.

Whelp.

I haven't been able to do a single workout since. My back has been on and off a giant pain (quite literally). I rested it for several days, it started to feel better, I went out of town, and by the time I was ready to start this program back up, I was in pain again. All it takes is one twist or bend, or a hearty sneeze. ARGH.

It doesn't help that I can't exactly stop using my back, especially with an almost 20-pound son that has been going through a Mama stage. Picking him up from the ground, or his crib, or lifting his car seat carrier... all lead to excruciating pain most days. So yeah, there are no lunges, squats, or planking going on here. Walking is the best I can do.

(You might be wondering why I haven't gone to see a chiropractor. A combination of conflicts at work, vacation days, my chiro's limited schedule, clinic location, and office renovations have made it impossible for me to get an appointment. But I'm going today - hallelujah).

Because I had to stop the exercise part of the program, I lost all motivation to stay on the nutrition track as well. It's pathetic. Not being able to work out makes my nutrition all the more important, and I could have still been seeing positive results all this time. But I haven't. Nope.

I will give myself some credit for sticking with fairly healthy snacks, and most of my lunches have been good. But I haven't been watching portion sizes, or keeping to my allotted daily servings with the program. And the carbs, oh sweet carbs. Definitely eating more than I should.

I won't lie. The stress I felt with trying to eat perfectly, and more limited than I was used to, was hard on me. It wasn't just trying to make healthy choices, it was measuring and tracking and feeling guilty when that didn't add up right. I wish I could say eating healthy made me feel great and motivated me, but it didn't. On top of feeling sleep deprived, with back pain, and a busy schedule, I am realizing it was a recipe for failure. Not to mention I was also paranoid and stressed about my milk supply.

Give me PB&J and potato chips!

Excuses, schmecuses, I know. I think this program, at this time in my life, was a bit too extreme. I don't doubt that it is something I am capable of accomplishing. Just not right now.

I do plan on going back to it someday soon. I WANT to complete it. I WANT to drop some weight and tone up. I WANT to create healthier eating habits. Maybe once my back issue is resolved, and my teething child lets me get a bit more uninterrupted sleep. (I won't hold my breath for the latter).

Comments

  1. Sometimes it isnt about totally changing everything we eat, it is just about eating everything in moderation. You can have those chips, just dont eat the entire bag in one sitting. Hang in there, all changes take time. And then life gets in the way so you have to just roll with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Fall 2015

Annabel - 18 months