One year


This boy is one year old.

ONE.

That is insane.
I just spent 20 minutes looking back at my Instagram photos from the last year, and I can’t believe how much he has grown and developed in just one year. I also have to restrain from making any more photo collages comparing newborn vs age 1, or I may spend all day doing it.

Ok, on to all things Carter during his 12th month of life.

Carter is such a riot. He is LOUD. HE talks all the time, and loves to engage with us. I wish I could climb into that brain to learn what he thinks he's saying to us. It's all with such gusto and intent like he's not just making noise to make noise. And he's fast. Has not shown any sign of wanting to walk yet unassisted, but is standing on own for up to almost a minute at a time (and could longer, if he didn't have somewhere he always wanted to go).

He is certainly smitten with his mama. And I love it. Most of the time. (Because this means I get all the whining too when I don't carry him or feed him fast enough or meet his every need). Most days, he will be content if I sit near him while he crawls around and plays. Every few minutes, he climbs on my lap, wraps his arms around me and burrows into my chest, then turns around and goes off to play. They are such sweet moments, and I know years from now I will be longing for this. He also  never far from my side.

And yet, he energetically crawls into our bedroom in the mornings looking for Daddy...every day, without fail. He lights up when he enters a room, and whines for him very little. He loves throwing balls with him, and climbing all over him on the floor. Always fun. These two have a special bond that is nothing like mine with him.

Carter continues to love to play peekaboo, be chased, wave bye bye, be held upside down, turn on/off lights, climb, and play in the fridge. He got his first real injury at daycare the day before Thanksgiving, pulling a rack of TV trays on top of him while trying to reach the TV. There is still a faint mark today, so I think this may be his first of many "scars."

He brings destruction wherever he goes. Enough said.

Carter giggles when you say "no" and try to remove him from the situation. His latest joy is doing this with the Christmas tree. But so far, our tree is still standing! It helps that we put it in the back corner where he seldom plays.

Tantrums have evolved into quite a production. Particularly when we take away something he shouldn’t have, like our iPhones. Or our shoes (he’s been trying to chew on the soles of them – ewwww). Or a random crumb from the floor because we don’t vacuum often enough. He throws his head back, sometimes falling backwards, and cries. Hard. But the second you put another toy in his hands, or pick him up, he’s done, smiling and moves on. I sure hope these tantrums continue to be so quick.

He also started practicing yoga. Kidding. But he’s mastered downward dog. And loves when you grab his feet and flip him over in a summersault. Though this pose is usually reserved for tantrums, which is hilarious.

Carter is sleeping through the night again (Hallelujah) and therefore our nursing relationship is 100% over. I can't recall the last time we nursed, and I was probably better off not knowing it at the time. While I am missing those moments, I'm looking forward to being done pumping and appreciate that Jon can enjoy more of the bedtime routine now. He is drinking a mix of half breast milk and half cow's milk now, and doesn't seem to mind the change. My fairly easygoing kid. I love him.
Photos of him have become increasingly difficult, because he doesn't stop moving, and because he is obsessed with our phones and will charge at them immediately. So he usually looks like a blur. However, occasionally, he will cooperate and we capture his gem of a smile, clearly. 



Dear sweet Carter,
You are the best thing to have happened to us. We could have never dreamed that an incredible boy like you would be ours someday. I remember meeting you a year ago like it was yesterday, and I sit here in disbelief that 365 days have passed. You are growing up into such a sweet, rambunctious, smart little boy, and I am so very excited for your years to come. Thank you for being who you are. We love you to the moon and back.
Love, Mama and Daddy


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Fall 2015

Annabel - 18 months