18 months

My sweet, sweet Carter. Now 18-months-old. (I just mistakenly typed "years" instead of "months" and had a brief panic attack. I'm sure it'll feel like tomorrow he is that old).

Anyway. I just can't believe it.

I loved the monthly photos we did in his first year, and decided I'd try to continue them for his half and whole birthdays for as long as he's willing to go along with it. I'm sure it won't last long, but wouldn't that be a riot to see him sitting by the teddy bear as a teenager? Hehehe.

Here is a comparison I did (and now find myself swooning over...my baby!!). I mean, TIME. Really. Do you have to happen so quickly?

According to his most recent check-up, Carter is 25 pounds and 32 inches. A bit shorter than the average kid, but he seems big to me so I'm not sure who these giant children are that fit into the 50%+. He sobbed during his two shots, though it started when I had to pin him down on the exam table, so I'm pretty sure that was the most traumatizing part. Afterward, he enjoyed a sucker until we were exiting the clinic and I made him throw it in the garbage. I know, I'm mean. But the boy wasn't going to eat a sticky, choking hazard sucker by himself in the car, and certainly doesn't need that sugar at 5pm.

Let me tell you, Carter is growing into such a sweet little boy. 'Sweet' is the term most people use these days to describe him, and it's totally true. The last two times we picked him up from the church nursery, the staff (different each time) said he was just the sweetest kid they'd ever met. Perhaps they say that to all the mothers, but I'd like to think they really mean it. I was told he opened a door all on his own accord for a woman that came in with her arms full, and carefully shut it behind her like a courteous little door man.

He also enjoys being sweet on his big cousin N, frequently offering up one of his beloved goldfish crackers after N refuses to share his own, or running to grab N's water bottle for him without prompting, as if he knows he must be thirsty. He continues to make interrupted stops while playing to nestle into the crook of my neck for a hug, or wraps his arms around my legs for a quick hug before proceeding to the next thing that catches his eye. In the mornings while I am getting ready, he cozies himself up to Jon in bed (leaning back onto his chest) with his milk, and my heart melts.

He is just the sweetest. I'm sad that someday he'll probably be an ornery teenager and too cool for hugs.

Speaking of, his hugs are not of the traditional sort. Instead of wrapping his arms around you, he tucks his arms down in between his body and yours and nestles his shoulder under your chin. I love the way he fits right in there, and couldn't imagine a hug from him any other way right now. Someday, I suppose, he'll have to learn the proper way.
Carter's vocabulary is taking off at rapid speed. At his 15-month doctor's appointment, he barely met the minimum preferred range of 4-8 words. It's baffling to think how quickly that changed. For sake of documentation, his vocabulary currently includes: Mama, Dada, Papa, gook (milk), cheese, fishies, appo (apple), ball, car, woof woof, meow, moo, mi (pacifier - we have no idea where this came from), Coke, tick tock (clock), ah done/gone, ah more (I want more), hi, bah (bye), O-eh-er (Oliver), Katie, shoes, ox (socks), tack ooh (thank you), pee boo (peekaboo), and backpack (thanks, Dora). He can also point to his nose, ear, eye, mouth, and belly button on command.

He also does a lot of whining and pointing and shaking his head, trying his darnedest to tell us what he wants. For a 1.5-year-old, he certainly has a lot of opinions. I really can't wait for him to be able to verbally communicate more. My electricity bill will appreciate us not standing with the fridge door open so long trying to decipher what he wants. So will my sanity.

Carter's latest obsessions include blankets. On his lap, laid out on the floor, around his shoulders, on the couch, off the couch...you name it. He grunts and purses his lips as he tries to pile it on his lap (and it must be entirely on his lap and not next to him), and then climbs out of it, whines until you lay it out again, and then repeats. It's loads of fun. (Yes, that's sarcasm).

Buttons, switches, and buckles are still a big obsession. We let him push the garage door button, and he whips his head quickly to watch the door and cheers wildly that he did it. Oh to be a kid and get so much delight from the tiniest thing. The light switch above the couch is still the only one he can reach so it gets lots of use. And Carter turns the radio on and off Jon's alarm clock all by himself. But when you say no to the computer, your phone, your camera, or any other fun-looking, expensive buttons? He's not happy.

I am so grateful we live on a relatively lively road. This is one of Carter's most favorite places, and something we do every evening. We settle in, Carter on the stool and one of us usually on the floor next to him, watching the world go by.

He loudly proclaims, "Caaaar!" or "Vrooom!" when one drives by, woofs when he sees a dog, and on occasion has said, "Hi!" loud enough for people walking by to look up and smile and wave. He watched me wipe away a couple of bugs from the windowsill once, and now grabs himself a burp rag and wipes it down, every time. He likes to line up toys or pacifiers on the window ledge while carefully watching everything outside, and climb up and down that stool over and over. Honestly, I love sitting by that open window, feeling the breeze and hearing the leaves rustle, watching my son and his hilarious antics. This spot is great entertainment for us all.

As far as food goes, Carter definitely has favorites: hot dogs, cheese, breads, pears, crackers, and yogurt. He has gagged (and thrown up) when we forced him to try broccoli, and pretty much dislikes most other vegetables aside from corn. We need to be better about making him try them more often. He now insists on taking bites from sandwiches rather than picking up cut-up bites, and if the sandwich is mine, it's extra appetizing. He loves dipping things, like nuggets into ranch, or pizza crust into marinara sauce. I mean, who doesn't? And he couldn't have more fun than feeding himself yogurt.

He still has a bottle of milk at night before bed, but we brush his teeth after (or at least the brush makes some contact with some of his teeth), so I haven't felt the need to rush getting rid of it. It's part of his routine, laying in our arms and drinking while we read and sing to him. I know he could do it with a sippy, but I worry he won't drink much and then wake with a hungry belly and disrupt my own precious little sleep. And frankly, I'm feeling a bit nostalgic about that change. I gave myself until 18 months to ignore it, so now I suppose I should get our game plan. Sigh.

I know I shouldn't worry because he has surpassed my expectations at every worrisome milestone/change up until now. I'm sure he'll rock this too, my easy-going boy. The pacifier? That's a whole other ballgame, and a fight for another day/month.

Carter is mostly fearless and I suspect has a high pain tolerance. They say this is a trait of Sagittarius, which seems to fit. He bumps his head or falls pretty regularly as he climbs and runs and doesn't watch where he's going. Or when he's having a tantrum. Energy is not lacking with this one.

He has 7 of his 8 incisors and 4 molars (2 of which are just now poking through). He's wearing 18-24 month clothing, with some 2T. I'm loving his expanded wardrobe with shorts now, though I worry about those little bare knees (already skinned, of course). And? I'm pretty sure there is nothing cuter than tight footie PJs, so I take many a photo during bedtime.

I'm not sure where I should stop describing this sweet boy and all that he IS, because I could go on and on.

A cute photo of him in his PJs seems like a good time.

:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Winter 2015

Tales of a trip to Brazil, Part 1