Annabel - Seven months
Surpassing the half year mark feels monumental to me. We survived the first 6 months with two little children. I'd say for the most part we actually thrived!
Annabel continues to bless us with her giant smiles and loud belly laughs.
At her 6-month appointment she weighed 18.9 pounds (86%) and was 27.5 inches long (93%). Wearing mostly 9-month clothing and size 3 diapers.
Overall, she's calm and collected, observant and chill, and just goes with the flow of whatever we are doing as a family. Out to dinner? Sure, I'll just hang in my carseat and people watch while you guys eat. Need to run errands during nap time? Don't worry, I can snooze in the car. Time to bathe Carter? I'll lay on the rug - just give me something to chew on. A waiter commented recently that he'd never seen such a good baby at dinner. We often don't think about it, because it's just our normal, but in that moment Jon and I looked at each other and realized once again how blessed we are and how much more difficult she could be making our lives.
But, that's not to say she's always an angel. She also has a feisty side, usually reserved for the evenings. The girl can shriek loud and in very high octaves when something doesn't go her way. We can't help but chuckle when she does, because it's just so over-dramatic. Already.
She has been no angel at night lately. At about six months she suddenly figured out that napping was awesome, and just started doing it. Two+ hour stretches, multiple times a day, putting herself to sleep. It was amazing! But then... she decided that she'd rather sleep during the day than at night, and I was up with her for HOURS each night. She'd go to bed around 6:30-7pm per normal, but then wake around 10pm or 11pm and be wide awake, ready to play. I tried keeping her in my arms in her dark room, but she'd cry and wiggle until she was upright, and then insist on making eye contact (which I tried my best to avoid) and started cooing and being oh-so-adorable. It got to a point where I was MAD at her, because I was so sleep deprived and not amused. It only took a few days to realize this wasn't a fluke but a real problem, so I did some research, found out she should probably only be napping 3 hours total. So, we had a few rough days of limiting naps when she was still tired from being up at night. But I think our nocturnal baby is a thing of the past.
This last month Annabel mastered her sitting, and became much more interested in what's around her. She will roll around and pivot on the floor to get to a toy that catches her eye, and seems most interested in Carter's sippy, bowl, snack, etc. Carter has started getting really possessive of his stuff, but fortunately almost always willingly finds her something else to play with.
She also loves to wave. Well, she holds her hand up in the air, but it's almost always done with greeting someone that approaches her or starts talking to her, so I'd like to think it's intentional and she's just really smart.
She still very much dislikes eating food, so we're taking a break from it. Carter was the same, and really, there is no rush.
Annabel went swimming for the first time! She loved it, as we suspected. Had it not been so windy, making the air somewhat chilly, we would have stayed in longer than the 15 minutes she got. I have decided that baby girls in swimsuits are just to die for.
Another hot fall weekend called for the baby pool, and her other swimsuit that she's quickly outgrowing. The water was cold, so she didn't stay in very long. But she clearly enjoyed the little time she had.
Annabel is still very attached to me. If I am in the room, or within sight, but not holding her, she starts whining and wiggling. It's endearing, of course, that she loves me that much and needs to be close. But it would be nice to be able to hand her off more easily so I can do whatever else I need done. Or just relax a minute without a 19lb baby in my arms. I know they are only little once, and someday she won't want me around, so I try to keep that perspective.
Other happenings this last month:
MN State Fair - she slept and people watched and we both very much appreciated the accommodations in the Lactation Station multiple times.
Dozinky Days - again, she slept and observed all that was happening. And snuggled with Grandma quite a bit.
Teeth - Annabel has two teeth! The bottom two came in one right after the other. We had a few rough sleeping nights (amidst the nocturnal baby chronicles) but overall I'd say she is handling teething pretty well.
I realize this photo does not really actually show her teeth, but goodness it's just too cute. I tried my best to get a photo of them but she made it pretty impossible.
Parks - per usual, we spent a lot of time at various parks around town. But this month, Annabel partook in swinging, and really seemed to love it.
Carter got a new big bed, so we transferred Annabel to his old crib. It was time to lower the mattress as she starts getting up on all fours. She seems to like her new digs, and we're starting to find her in other spots from where we lay her down.
And there she is, currently, in a nutshell.
Annabel continues to bless us with her giant smiles and loud belly laughs.
At her 6-month appointment she weighed 18.9 pounds (86%) and was 27.5 inches long (93%). Wearing mostly 9-month clothing and size 3 diapers.
Overall, she's calm and collected, observant and chill, and just goes with the flow of whatever we are doing as a family. Out to dinner? Sure, I'll just hang in my carseat and people watch while you guys eat. Need to run errands during nap time? Don't worry, I can snooze in the car. Time to bathe Carter? I'll lay on the rug - just give me something to chew on. A waiter commented recently that he'd never seen such a good baby at dinner. We often don't think about it, because it's just our normal, but in that moment Jon and I looked at each other and realized once again how blessed we are and how much more difficult she could be making our lives.
But, that's not to say she's always an angel. She also has a feisty side, usually reserved for the evenings. The girl can shriek loud and in very high octaves when something doesn't go her way. We can't help but chuckle when she does, because it's just so over-dramatic. Already.
She has been no angel at night lately. At about six months she suddenly figured out that napping was awesome, and just started doing it. Two+ hour stretches, multiple times a day, putting herself to sleep. It was amazing! But then... she decided that she'd rather sleep during the day than at night, and I was up with her for HOURS each night. She'd go to bed around 6:30-7pm per normal, but then wake around 10pm or 11pm and be wide awake, ready to play. I tried keeping her in my arms in her dark room, but she'd cry and wiggle until she was upright, and then insist on making eye contact (which I tried my best to avoid) and started cooing and being oh-so-adorable. It got to a point where I was MAD at her, because I was so sleep deprived and not amused. It only took a few days to realize this wasn't a fluke but a real problem, so I did some research, found out she should probably only be napping 3 hours total. So, we had a few rough days of limiting naps when she was still tired from being up at night. But I think our nocturnal baby is a thing of the past.
This last month Annabel mastered her sitting, and became much more interested in what's around her. She will roll around and pivot on the floor to get to a toy that catches her eye, and seems most interested in Carter's sippy, bowl, snack, etc. Carter has started getting really possessive of his stuff, but fortunately almost always willingly finds her something else to play with.
She also loves to wave. Well, she holds her hand up in the air, but it's almost always done with greeting someone that approaches her or starts talking to her, so I'd like to think it's intentional and she's just really smart.
She still very much dislikes eating food, so we're taking a break from it. Carter was the same, and really, there is no rush.
Annabel went swimming for the first time! She loved it, as we suspected. Had it not been so windy, making the air somewhat chilly, we would have stayed in longer than the 15 minutes she got. I have decided that baby girls in swimsuits are just to die for.
Another hot fall weekend called for the baby pool, and her other swimsuit that she's quickly outgrowing. The water was cold, so she didn't stay in very long. But she clearly enjoyed the little time she had.
Annabel is still very attached to me. If I am in the room, or within sight, but not holding her, she starts whining and wiggling. It's endearing, of course, that she loves me that much and needs to be close. But it would be nice to be able to hand her off more easily so I can do whatever else I need done. Or just relax a minute without a 19lb baby in my arms. I know they are only little once, and someday she won't want me around, so I try to keep that perspective.
Other happenings this last month:
MN State Fair - she slept and people watched and we both very much appreciated the accommodations in the Lactation Station multiple times.
Dozinky Days - again, she slept and observed all that was happening. And snuggled with Grandma quite a bit.
Teeth - Annabel has two teeth! The bottom two came in one right after the other. We had a few rough sleeping nights (amidst the nocturnal baby chronicles) but overall I'd say she is handling teething pretty well.
I realize this photo does not really actually show her teeth, but goodness it's just too cute. I tried my best to get a photo of them but she made it pretty impossible.
Parks - per usual, we spent a lot of time at various parks around town. But this month, Annabel partook in swinging, and really seemed to love it.
Carter got a new big bed, so we transferred Annabel to his old crib. It was time to lower the mattress as she starts getting up on all fours. She seems to like her new digs, and we're starting to find her in other spots from where we lay her down.
And there she is, currently, in a nutshell.
Comments
Post a Comment