Information Overload
Those of you that have done any sort of registry can probably appreciate my post today. Wedding registeries - I thought they'd be fun. I mean, when else do you get to wander a store and at the click of a button make your ultimate wishlist?! While parts of it have been fun, there's definitely more to it than I thought.
A part of me can't help but feel a little timid about the whole registry aspect. I know it's part of the process, and our guests will hopefully appreciate knowing what household items we like and would be practical for us. And I know that traditionally the gifts are intended for us to start our new life together (and make me all domesticated, so it seems). But I can’t help but feel a little uneasy, like we're demanding “Here everyone, buy us this!” I'm sure this is not the impression people get from a registry - I know I never have while being on the gift-giver side. And since it’s better than the alternative (getting random gifts that we’d never have use for) I'm trying to make the most of it.
We attended a registry event awhile back, hoping we might get some guidance on this huge task. What sort of guidance exactly was I expecting, I don't know - maybe I was foolishly hoping for someone to make all the decisions for us. Upon arrival, we were given a scan gun, a long checklist, and a "good luck." That's it? Great... Off we went, wandering around overwhelmed by the models, styles, and colors to choose from, and not having a clue where to start. They had vendors there for many of the bigger named products, which Jon (the inquisitive, thorough one) found very helpful while I (the "slightly" less patient one) thought they all talked way too long and provided very biased sales pitches. Non-stick vs stainless steel, 3qt vs 5qt, luxury vs classic, green vs blue...my mind literally wanted to explode from all the information. Ok, maybe not literally.
Oh and the prices! Gah. Since when did things get so expensive? I clearly have spent, up until this point, my time buying starter sets and basic models, because I had no clue that some things could be so expensive. This does not help my uneasiness with the process. We couldn’t possibly suggest that our guests spend that much on pots and pans for us! Yet, as we have learned from vendors, customer reviews, and hours of online research, going less expensive can sometimes compromise quality, and the point is probably not to get a gift that will have to be replaced in a year.
On the bright side of it all, there have been very few disagreements. Jon for the most part followed me around the store and weighed in when he wanted to, which worked for me. And when I grew tired of researching which brand/model was recommended, he took the reins. I love him. Fortunately (or not), he didn't seem to care much about the kitchen and home items - you know, since I do all the cooking anyways. ;)
It did almost always put us in a sour mood though, as we have had to spend hours on several occasions in both stores making way too many decisions for our liking. So I have spent the last few days finishing up our registries online from the comfort of home instead, which was much more pleasant for us both. They may still need tweaking, but it feels good to cross that off our list! On to the remaining 873 items...
A part of me can't help but feel a little timid about the whole registry aspect. I know it's part of the process, and our guests will hopefully appreciate knowing what household items we like and would be practical for us. And I know that traditionally the gifts are intended for us to start our new life together (and make me all domesticated, so it seems). But I can’t help but feel a little uneasy, like we're demanding “Here everyone, buy us this!” I'm sure this is not the impression people get from a registry - I know I never have while being on the gift-giver side. And since it’s better than the alternative (getting random gifts that we’d never have use for) I'm trying to make the most of it.
We attended a registry event awhile back, hoping we might get some guidance on this huge task. What sort of guidance exactly was I expecting, I don't know - maybe I was foolishly hoping for someone to make all the decisions for us. Upon arrival, we were given a scan gun, a long checklist, and a "good luck." That's it? Great... Off we went, wandering around overwhelmed by the models, styles, and colors to choose from, and not having a clue where to start. They had vendors there for many of the bigger named products, which Jon (the inquisitive, thorough one) found very helpful while I (the "slightly" less patient one) thought they all talked way too long and provided very biased sales pitches. Non-stick vs stainless steel, 3qt vs 5qt, luxury vs classic, green vs blue...my mind literally wanted to explode from all the information. Ok, maybe not literally.
Oh and the prices! Gah. Since when did things get so expensive? I clearly have spent, up until this point, my time buying starter sets and basic models, because I had no clue that some things could be so expensive. This does not help my uneasiness with the process. We couldn’t possibly suggest that our guests spend that much on pots and pans for us! Yet, as we have learned from vendors, customer reviews, and hours of online research, going less expensive can sometimes compromise quality, and the point is probably not to get a gift that will have to be replaced in a year.
On the bright side of it all, there have been very few disagreements. Jon for the most part followed me around the store and weighed in when he wanted to, which worked for me. And when I grew tired of researching which brand/model was recommended, he took the reins. I love him. Fortunately (or not), he didn't seem to care much about the kitchen and home items - you know, since I do all the cooking anyways. ;)
It did almost always put us in a sour mood though, as we have had to spend hours on several occasions in both stores making way too many decisions for our liking. So I have spent the last few days finishing up our registries online from the comfort of home instead, which was much more pleasant for us both. They may still need tweaking, but it feels good to cross that off our list! On to the remaining 873 items...
Registering is such an overwhelming task! Just wait until your baby registry! We tried to get an equal amount of expensive and inexpensive things on our wedding registry. Plus, anything on your registry that isn't purchased for you, you'll get a 10 or 20% off coupon to buy the rest of it (at Target and BBB)...so Andy and I just put anything we wanted on the registry, so we could use the discount in the end.
ReplyDeleteYay for having one more thing crossed off the list!!
Thanks, Betsy! Yes, we tried to balance out the items as well. So we'll get a coupon for Target to buy anything that isn't purchased? I had no idea! We knew about the rewards program with Macys, but nothing about Target...we'll keep that in mind. Do they just automatically give you the discount, or do we need to request a certain certificate?
ReplyDeleteTarget sends you a coupon in the mail after your wedding, I think it might just be 10% off remaining registry items...but for larger priced items that is still something! We even had a small dining room table on our registry...knowing no one would actually buy it, but planning on using the discount at the end!
ReplyDeleteAND I think you get a target gift card for $20 or $25 after you register w/ them. At least that's what we got when we registered. Quite honestly, I ended up hating the registering process because it took way too long and I spent too much mindless energy trying to decide between black or white, this or that, etc. It is a good idea just to finish it up online, which is what we did with both the wedding and baby registries. And Bets, I totally agree w/ you about baby registering being so hard - advice for the future: do NOT start with the bottle section. I nearly cried because of all the choices.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, I can't wait to go online and see what you've registered for! Yippee!! Your big day is coming up so fast!