Good night
I'm going on hour 32 of being awake, and I'm feeling surprisingly better than I did 10 hours ago. We arrived in France today, for work, and while the trip out here was far improved from my last trip (we actually got here as scheduled), I still was unable to sleep...at all.
Maybe it was the fact that we left at 3pm and by the time we landed in Amsterdam it was 11pm MN time, BUT 6am European time, so we skipped nighttime.
Maybe it was the two adorable babies that sat in the rows across from me, which I stared at all too often, amazed at how their parents were dealing with them on an 8-hour flight.
Or maybe the group of high school Russians that had clearly spent some time in MN given they all wore Hopkins sweatshirts and tossed around footballs. It made me think back to our trip to Spain in high school...were we really that young?
Perhaps it was the woman in the row ahead, who started shouting "Ayudame" (Help me in Spanish) three hours into the trip and proceeded to get sick all over and pass out, causing for a rush of doctors on board and at least three hours of treating/helping/cleaning. The commotion was hard to ignore, and I wished I hadn't witnessed it as I felt queasy as a result.
And maybe it was the fact that I'm a movie junkie and couldn't stop watching movies.
Or that I couldn't curl up next to anyone to try to get comfortable. Where's the husband when you need him?
Regardless of the reason, the fact of the matter is that I didn't sleep and am feeling the affects. We ran on adrenaline and caffeine all day, and it was by far the worst at 8am when I felt like it was 1am. We powered through and caught our second wind, and ended up being quite productive. As a reward we called it quits at 7:30pm and I'm currently curled up in bed, trying to find something to watch on French TV, catching up on the goings on back home, and enjoying a glass of wine compliments of the hotel.
The city here is stunning, what I've seen so far, but it's also been raining cats and dogs and we're frankly concerned about our planned (outdoor) events this week. I'm hoping to get a chance to get out and take some photos, but it's not looking likely.
Well, my glass of wine and writing did the trick and I'm finally ready to crash. Good night.
Maybe it was the fact that we left at 3pm and by the time we landed in Amsterdam it was 11pm MN time, BUT 6am European time, so we skipped nighttime.
Maybe it was the two adorable babies that sat in the rows across from me, which I stared at all too often, amazed at how their parents were dealing with them on an 8-hour flight.
Or maybe the group of high school Russians that had clearly spent some time in MN given they all wore Hopkins sweatshirts and tossed around footballs. It made me think back to our trip to Spain in high school...were we really that young?
Perhaps it was the woman in the row ahead, who started shouting "Ayudame" (Help me in Spanish) three hours into the trip and proceeded to get sick all over and pass out, causing for a rush of doctors on board and at least three hours of treating/helping/cleaning. The commotion was hard to ignore, and I wished I hadn't witnessed it as I felt queasy as a result.
And maybe it was the fact that I'm a movie junkie and couldn't stop watching movies.
Or that I couldn't curl up next to anyone to try to get comfortable. Where's the husband when you need him?
Regardless of the reason, the fact of the matter is that I didn't sleep and am feeling the affects. We ran on adrenaline and caffeine all day, and it was by far the worst at 8am when I felt like it was 1am. We powered through and caught our second wind, and ended up being quite productive. As a reward we called it quits at 7:30pm and I'm currently curled up in bed, trying to find something to watch on French TV, catching up on the goings on back home, and enjoying a glass of wine compliments of the hotel.
The city here is stunning, what I've seen so far, but it's also been raining cats and dogs and we're frankly concerned about our planned (outdoor) events this week. I'm hoping to get a chance to get out and take some photos, but it's not looking likely.
Well, my glass of wine and writing did the trick and I'm finally ready to crash. Good night.
Wow! Sounds like quite the flight! I hope you were able to get a good night sleep! Enjoy France!!
ReplyDeleteHope you had a good night sleep. Good luck with weather!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a trip! Have a great time and try to sneak in some photos, even if it's a rainy view from your hotel room window!
ReplyDelete