Arizona
This winter we decided to take a trip to visit my brother-in-law and sister-in-law in Phoenix. Per our norm the last few years, we knew we'd want to escape the frigid cold for some warmer weather. We are saving up for a big trip to Brazil next year, so something lowkey and inexpensive like this was the perfect solution. What we didn't expect is that Phoneix would have SNOW the first day we were there. Thanks a lot, Mother Nature.
Seriously, this city had no idea what to do. It was quite amusing. Fortunately, it melted quickly, and we enjoyed 65+ degrees and mostly sunshine the rest of the week. It didn't hit 70 until after we left, which is sad.
We had hoped to make a trip north to the southern rim of the Grand Canyon, but because of the storm that brought that unusual snow our first day here, the drive up would have been a challenge. The mountains got at least a foot or more of snow, roads were iffy, and my brother-in-law didn't have snow chains for his tires. It just wasn't worth the risk of getting stuck somewhere, so I guess we'll just have to plan to see it on another trip. I was pretty bummed about it.
But we did make it up to Sedona, a couple hours from here, and Oh. My. Gosh. This place was stunning. I get such a kick out of mountains, since we never see much of anything in our horizon in MN. But the mountains in Sedona had the most beautiful formations, and with the richest colors of reds I've ever seen. It was heaven for me and my camera.
I don't think my pictures really do it justice.
We took another day trip to Superstition Mountain, where we visited a mining 'ghost' town. It screamed tourist trap, but was still something new to see, and was free. And just being out in the sunshine was well worth all the 'cheese' we encountered there.
We sent my husband and brother-in-law to jail, and later to hang. For fun, of course. There were two women dressed from the 1800s out there jeering at them for not listening to their wives as we took pictures. It was pretty hilarious.
I took many pictures of giant cactus and mountains and everything desert. Look at this monster. Doesn't it look so squishy and soft?
Much of our time there was pretty lowkey. My sister-in-law had to work most of the time, so the boys and I went to an outlet mall (where they stood at the entrance of each shop and talked as I browsed), went out for lunches, saw a movie (me: Twilight Part Two, them: Skyfall), read an entire 1700 page book, cuddled with their chiuauas, played canasta, and went to the casino. No, Mandy, no Bingos for us. {--tear}
My aunt and uncle from Iowa were in town for a funeral (unfortunately), but it was fun to meet up with them and my cousins that I rarely see for a yummy champagne brunch.
We also went to the Renaissance Festival, where they all talked me into getting onto one of those super trampolines. Holy smokes, people. This contraption will bounce you higher than you can imagine you'd go. It was so much fun though, and I even figured out how to do some flips in the air. Every single muscle in my body has been sore ever since, and I kind of wish I had one of those to work out on every day.
And what would a trip be without some jumping photos? My dear husband has become a good sport with my new photography obsession, and has even perfected jumping photos. Seriously, he just kept jumping and flailing about, making our sister-in-law panic he'd fall over the edge (he wasn't really close). I am sure we looked ridiculous to passerbys, as we were just pulled off to the side of the windy road through the mountains. Oh, and never mind the bare belly - it's a sign of a quality jump.
We tried to get bumped on our trip home to make some extra airline $ for our next trip, but at last minute they reported they had just enough seats. Boo.
It was nice to see family, to get away from work, and to enjoy some much needed Vitamin D. But I will admit I am happy to be back in my own house and my own bed, even if it is much chillier here. Spring is near, isn't it?
Seriously, this city had no idea what to do. It was quite amusing. Fortunately, it melted quickly, and we enjoyed 65+ degrees and mostly sunshine the rest of the week. It didn't hit 70 until after we left, which is sad.
We had hoped to make a trip north to the southern rim of the Grand Canyon, but because of the storm that brought that unusual snow our first day here, the drive up would have been a challenge. The mountains got at least a foot or more of snow, roads were iffy, and my brother-in-law didn't have snow chains for his tires. It just wasn't worth the risk of getting stuck somewhere, so I guess we'll just have to plan to see it on another trip. I was pretty bummed about it.
But we did make it up to Sedona, a couple hours from here, and Oh. My. Gosh. This place was stunning. I get such a kick out of mountains, since we never see much of anything in our horizon in MN. But the mountains in Sedona had the most beautiful formations, and with the richest colors of reds I've ever seen. It was heaven for me and my camera.
I don't think my pictures really do it justice.
We took another day trip to Superstition Mountain, where we visited a mining 'ghost' town. It screamed tourist trap, but was still something new to see, and was free. And just being out in the sunshine was well worth all the 'cheese' we encountered there.
We sent my husband and brother-in-law to jail, and later to hang. For fun, of course. There were two women dressed from the 1800s out there jeering at them for not listening to their wives as we took pictures. It was pretty hilarious.
I took many pictures of giant cactus and mountains and everything desert. Look at this monster. Doesn't it look so squishy and soft?
Much of our time there was pretty lowkey. My sister-in-law had to work most of the time, so the boys and I went to an outlet mall (where they stood at the entrance of each shop and talked as I browsed), went out for lunches, saw a movie (me: Twilight Part Two, them: Skyfall), read an entire 1700 page book, cuddled with their chiuauas, played canasta, and went to the casino. No, Mandy, no Bingos for us. {--tear}
My aunt and uncle from Iowa were in town for a funeral (unfortunately), but it was fun to meet up with them and my cousins that I rarely see for a yummy champagne brunch.
We also went to the Renaissance Festival, where they all talked me into getting onto one of those super trampolines. Holy smokes, people. This contraption will bounce you higher than you can imagine you'd go. It was so much fun though, and I even figured out how to do some flips in the air. Every single muscle in my body has been sore ever since, and I kind of wish I had one of those to work out on every day.
And what would a trip be without some jumping photos? My dear husband has become a good sport with my new photography obsession, and has even perfected jumping photos. Seriously, he just kept jumping and flailing about, making our sister-in-law panic he'd fall over the edge (he wasn't really close). I am sure we looked ridiculous to passerbys, as we were just pulled off to the side of the windy road through the mountains. Oh, and never mind the bare belly - it's a sign of a quality jump.
We tried to get bumped on our trip home to make some extra airline $ for our next trip, but at last minute they reported they had just enough seats. Boo.
It was nice to see family, to get away from work, and to enjoy some much needed Vitamin D. But I will admit I am happy to be back in my own house and my own bed, even if it is much chillier here. Spring is near, isn't it?












Isn't Arizona so fun?? I'm so glad you got to see Sedona. I've been a couple times and am always in awe of its' beauty. Did you, by chance, stop in Carefree on the way to Sedona? Another cute little town. And I'm pretty sure my mom and I went to that very same Renaissance Festival when I was in 6th grade. Glad you had a good time!
ReplyDeleteYes, I never knew that Sedona was so gorgeous! I could have stayed there much longer, just staring at the beauty. I don't recall Carefree...so I know we didn't stop but must have gone through it. Guess I should have talked to you before we went!
DeleteLove all our pictures. Beautiful part of the country! I can't believe you tried one of those trampoline things.... Colton does it at the state fair every year and he loves it! Also I must give Jon props for his jumping skills, very impressive! Sounds like you guys had a great trip even if it didn't get as warm as you would have liked. And I hear about being back home and sleeping in your own bed after a vacation, it is always bitter sweet to be back home!
ReplyDeleteYour pictures were great! Oh my god, can that husband of your jump. Jon, I am impressed!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous pics! I especially love Jon's jumping pics. Totally impressive. Especially bottom left corner :) What a fun little getaway!
ReplyDelete