Daily drive through the country
I live on the outskirts of the cities, which means literally 1/2 mile down the road from my house there is farmland. We hadn't driven that way a whole lot, as it's east of us and almost everywhere we go is west.
A few weeks ago, they started major road construction on the road we normally take to get to and from our house. The detour is an annoying windy road through neighborhoods, and I frankly don't have the patience for it. So we've started using the next main road east of us to get around, which leads us right through farmland.
I'm rather enjoying the change in scenary. There are no pesky stoplights or busy intersections. There aren't any stripmalls or restaurants or gas stations. There is only countryside. Quaint little houses that have been there for probably 50+ years, with more history than anywhere I've lived. Lots of open land that I fear will be next in the ever-expanding housing development of our city.
Barns.
Fields and tractors.
Horses and cows (but the horses are not visible from the road so no evidence of them today)
It's quiet. It's refreshing. It's such an odd sensation coming from pure suburbia and brand new housing developments and within minutes be in the countryside.
It makes me reminisce my grandparents. On my mom's side, my grandparents farmed their whole lives until they retired and left it to my uncle and moved to town. Though they no longer farmed by the time I came around, I have heard so many stories and will always think of them on a farm.
On my dad's side, my grandparents lived in the city, but I have fond memories driving through the country with my grandpa on our visits. He looooved going for drives and checking out how the crops were looking and seeing so-and-so's land. In the later years, we always stopped by a farm that had llamas. And giraffes I think? Gosh, it was a while ago and now I'm second guessing that there could have been giraffes, yet I know it was something rather exotic.
So yes, a daily drive through the country is pretty darn nice. Look at this cutie I get to see everyday?
A few weeks ago, they started major road construction on the road we normally take to get to and from our house. The detour is an annoying windy road through neighborhoods, and I frankly don't have the patience for it. So we've started using the next main road east of us to get around, which leads us right through farmland.
I'm rather enjoying the change in scenary. There are no pesky stoplights or busy intersections. There aren't any stripmalls or restaurants or gas stations. There is only countryside. Quaint little houses that have been there for probably 50+ years, with more history than anywhere I've lived. Lots of open land that I fear will be next in the ever-expanding housing development of our city.
Barns.
Fields and tractors.
Horses and cows (but the horses are not visible from the road so no evidence of them today)
It's quiet. It's refreshing. It's such an odd sensation coming from pure suburbia and brand new housing developments and within minutes be in the countryside.
It makes me reminisce my grandparents. On my mom's side, my grandparents farmed their whole lives until they retired and left it to my uncle and moved to town. Though they no longer farmed by the time I came around, I have heard so many stories and will always think of them on a farm.
On my dad's side, my grandparents lived in the city, but I have fond memories driving through the country with my grandpa on our visits. He looooved going for drives and checking out how the crops were looking and seeing so-and-so's land. In the later years, we always stopped by a farm that had llamas. And giraffes I think? Gosh, it was a while ago and now I'm second guessing that there could have been giraffes, yet I know it was something rather exotic.
So yes, a daily drive through the country is pretty darn nice. Look at this cutie I get to see everyday?
Fun post! Yes, I'm a country girl. We were just on a walk down our driveway yesterday. Olivia wanted to pick flowers, Henry wanted to see a tractor (getting the fields ready for planting right next to our house) and I wanted to find a turtle (no luck). How cool for you to get both experiences so close together! I love the country, but wish it didn't take 35+ minutes to get to most things. We should have you to our house sometime. I just realized you haven't ever been here...
ReplyDeleteLove the photo's! I also love the country and hopefully we will be leaving the city for the country sometime in the future... but not too far out (as I have gotten used to have all my favorite stores close by). The photo of the barn is gorgeous, that farmer would probably like a copy of it! And those calves are so dang cute and apparently not scared of the camera at all. Great post, love it!
ReplyDeleteAh yes, it does remind me of the farm I grew up on. It was a good life!! Many memories, mostly good.
ReplyDelete