18 weeks
Only a couple of weeks away from reaching half way and seeing our baby again!
Notables over the last two weeks:
Around 18 weeks I started feeling the baby move! The first time I was working from home and had just eaten lunch. As I sat on the couch working away (because frankly, the couch is way more comfortable than at a desk), I felt a few flutters. They were at a fairly even tempo so I questioned if I was just feeling my pulse through my belly. I held my breath, and they continued and became more erratic, so I knew it was not just my pulse. And I ruled out digestion too, as it was a very distinct, new feeling. It made my day, and I'm pretty sure I spent the rest of the afternoon smiling. I didn't notice anything the rest of the evening, but then again I was too busy with my sister and nephew who had just arrived to town to concentrate on any faint movement. The following day, however, after lunch (I see a pattern already) I was at my desk typing away when I felt a soft jab/poke, followed by another, and another, with some other fluttery movements mixed in. Holy smokes. Definitely baby, and based on his/her movement at 12 weeks that we witness via ultrasound I'd guess those jabs were flailing arms or legs! I was amazed at how incredible and freaky it was. There is a living being in me! The idea of that felt a bit abstract until I could actually feel something going on. I haven't felt a whole lot of movement since, but I also haven't been sitting still very long either to focus on it.
I'm wearing maternity pants pretty much full time now, which is difficult considering I only have 2 pairs. :) But with shorts on weekends, and stocking up on some skirts, I should be fine. And oh my gosh, why did I wait so long? They are super comfy, and I sort of wish I could wear elastic waistband pants every day of my life. I've started wearing more maternity tops too, which are so much more flattering with my belly than a regular old shirt. I'm grateful for the stockpile from my little sister and a new batch from my dear cousin to help get me through at least part of my pregnancy.
I must look very obviously pregnant now, as several people at my cousin's wedding last weekend approached me to ask when I was due. I'm glad I may be beyond the "I ate a beef burrito from Chipotle" post-lunch belly. :)
We've started looking at baby stuff, anticipating the start of baby registries. While the idea of preparing for the baby is so exciting, I have to admit that walking through those aisles of stuff overwhelms me. I have always felt pretty confident in caring for babies (as in babysitting) but I've never had to decide on what brand of diapers, type of infant carrier, or model of breast pump to purchase. I know I have a wealth of knowledge surrounding me, as many people I know have already had kids, but they can't exactly just make all my decisions for me so I have to pick their brains here and there. My sister came to Target with us last week and pointed out some tips and recommendations, which was a tremendous help. We also got our second baby gift, from her and my parents...a stroller/carseat travel system! I feel a huge weight lifted, as that was one item that I was dreading having to pick out (of too many models).
Last night Jon looked through my pregnancy app and informed me that my uterus will be the size of a soccer ball by week 25. That sounds fun and frightening. I don't know that I want to know the equivalent of what it will be sized by week 38, nor can I even imagine it on me, but in reality I am excited. For it all. Yes, all.
18 weeks, at Dunning Springs in Decorah, IA.
Notables over the last two weeks:
Around 18 weeks I started feeling the baby move! The first time I was working from home and had just eaten lunch. As I sat on the couch working away (because frankly, the couch is way more comfortable than at a desk), I felt a few flutters. They were at a fairly even tempo so I questioned if I was just feeling my pulse through my belly. I held my breath, and they continued and became more erratic, so I knew it was not just my pulse. And I ruled out digestion too, as it was a very distinct, new feeling. It made my day, and I'm pretty sure I spent the rest of the afternoon smiling. I didn't notice anything the rest of the evening, but then again I was too busy with my sister and nephew who had just arrived to town to concentrate on any faint movement. The following day, however, after lunch (I see a pattern already) I was at my desk typing away when I felt a soft jab/poke, followed by another, and another, with some other fluttery movements mixed in. Holy smokes. Definitely baby, and based on his/her movement at 12 weeks that we witness via ultrasound I'd guess those jabs were flailing arms or legs! I was amazed at how incredible and freaky it was. There is a living being in me! The idea of that felt a bit abstract until I could actually feel something going on. I haven't felt a whole lot of movement since, but I also haven't been sitting still very long either to focus on it.
I'm wearing maternity pants pretty much full time now, which is difficult considering I only have 2 pairs. :) But with shorts on weekends, and stocking up on some skirts, I should be fine. And oh my gosh, why did I wait so long? They are super comfy, and I sort of wish I could wear elastic waistband pants every day of my life. I've started wearing more maternity tops too, which are so much more flattering with my belly than a regular old shirt. I'm grateful for the stockpile from my little sister and a new batch from my dear cousin to help get me through at least part of my pregnancy.
I must look very obviously pregnant now, as several people at my cousin's wedding last weekend approached me to ask when I was due. I'm glad I may be beyond the "I ate a beef burrito from Chipotle" post-lunch belly. :)
We've started looking at baby stuff, anticipating the start of baby registries. While the idea of preparing for the baby is so exciting, I have to admit that walking through those aisles of stuff overwhelms me. I have always felt pretty confident in caring for babies (as in babysitting) but I've never had to decide on what brand of diapers, type of infant carrier, or model of breast pump to purchase. I know I have a wealth of knowledge surrounding me, as many people I know have already had kids, but they can't exactly just make all my decisions for me so I have to pick their brains here and there. My sister came to Target with us last week and pointed out some tips and recommendations, which was a tremendous help. We also got our second baby gift, from her and my parents...a stroller/carseat travel system! I feel a huge weight lifted, as that was one item that I was dreading having to pick out (of too many models).
Last night Jon looked through my pregnancy app and informed me that my uterus will be the size of a soccer ball by week 25. That sounds fun and frightening. I don't know that I want to know the equivalent of what it will be sized by week 38, nor can I even imagine it on me, but in reality I am excited. For it all. Yes, all.
This post gave me goosebumps! Those first flutters, jabs and kicks are amazing. That was by far my favorite part of being pregnant and sometimes I wish I could feel it just one more time. You are just glowing in every picture I see of you, you wear that baby well!
ReplyDeleteAs for picking out items, yes it can seem overwhelming so just take it slow. The baby will be just fine no matter what brand of diapers you use or what color stroller you have but make sure to stock up on hangers so Jon can hang up all those tiny baby outfits!
Love reading these posts and you will be so happy you have them because when you are chasing kids around it is easy to forget these first awesome moments but reading about them will bring the memories back to quickly!
Feeling baby move!!!! My favorite part!!!
ReplyDelete