Attention

I am amazed at all of the attention I'm getting these days because of my pregnancy.  It's like everyone 'and their mother' is suddenly interested in me and how I'm doing.  It's endearing and flattering, and I suppose part of the societal norm to be interested in and sucked into the excitement of one's expected baby.  I know I've certainly done the same many a time.  But, I've never really liked being the center of attention, at least not when it's outside my close family and friends, so the new attention has been quite a change for me.  I'm not complaining, because I know it's well-intentioned and again flattering, and I'm thrilled to be "the pregnant lady" with exciting news, but it's taking some getting used to.

One, everyone stares at me and my belly.  Often they comment on how cute or big it's getting, occasionally they pat my belly without asking (which I haven't minded yet as it's fortunately been close people to me), and always, always, always I catch their eyes moving down to my belly as we talk or as I walk by.  At my cousin's wedding last week, there were numerous strangers and distant acquaintances that noticed my belly right away and made comments.  It seems I'm being checked out all the time!  I'm certainly not, nor have I ever been, thrilled with my body, so knowing people are looking at me so much is a bit unnerving at times.  But I get it.  They aren't looking at my imperfections like I may fear, but rather (hopefully) admiring the baby bump itself.  I really do adore the compliments I've received though, and there's not much better than kind words from strangers when you're feeling like you're gaining weight at exponential rates.  Plus, Jon rubbing my belly daily and saying hi to the baby?  The best.

Two, everyone asks me how I'm feeling.  It really was surprising when word got out at work that I was expecting.  People that I rarely talk to, or only make small talk with if I'm in a meeting with them, are now asking me how I'm feeling every time they see me.  Pre-pregnancy, we'd make eye contact and pass by without much more than a "Good morning" or "How's it going?"  Now, they are suddenly interested in if this baby is giving me morning sickness or not, if I'm feeling the baby move, and how I'm doing overall.  Again, not to sound repetitive, it's sweet.  I'm just not used to senior leadership or the accounting ladies being concerned with my body and how I'm feeling on a daily basis. 

Three, everyone asks me the same question: if we're finding out the gender before birth.  I suppose it's a safe conversation starter, and certainly way more appropriate than some topics they could bring up.  Which, by the way, I totally expect to start hearing some of those (difficult births, fussy babies, third trimester woes), and with advice from dear friends will take those with a grain of salt.  Many people seem surprised with our plan to not find out until birth, as it does appear to be the fad these days to have some cute reveal with colored cake or balloons or something after the week 20 ultrasound.  Though that does sound fun, and a great photo opp, we're doing it old school.  :)  Our anatomy scan is next week, and we are really excited to see the baby and make sure he/she is growing well.  Just not the gender quite yet. 

I feel my 7th-8th grade English grammar teacher Mrs. Kater leaning over my shoulder telling me I need a solid closing paragraph to finalize my thoughts, but I don't have one.  Eeesh, she must have taught me well, because I've sat here for several minutes trying to find the right way to wrap this up, and now I'm bugged that I haven't come up with anything but pointing out that I have nothing.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Winter 2015

Tales of a trip to Brazil, Part 1