Day in the Life - Winter 2015

I wasn't sure I would do another Day in the Life so soon, but if I've learned anything these last 5+ weeks, it's that time is scarily fleeting with a newborn, and I want to bottle up as many memories as I can. Even the not-so-pretty ones. So here it goes!

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Carter is 5 weeks, 5 days old. Jon and I are...old.

2:00am | I wake to crying and realize I am on the couch. It takes me a minute to remember why I'm downstairs and not in bed. Oh yes, Jon woke me shortly before midnight to tell me that Carter was sound asleep in his bouncer downstairs, but that he himself needed to get to bed (he works, so I try to take on nighttime duties). So I stumbled downstairs and crashed on the couch. Carter is now crying, 5 hours after his last feeding! Pretty remarkable.

I grab the munchkin, chuckle at his adorable quivering lower lip, and get myself situated on the couch to nurse. He screams as I am just not moving fast enough for his liking, and starts gulping as if he hasn't eaten in years as soon as I let down. 5 hours is a long time for him! I start my nursing app, which is my saving grace in this fog I currently live in. I'd never remember which side I left off on, or what time he last nursed. While I am nursing on demand, my kid likes to give eating cues when really he just wants to be pacified by sucking. So I need to remember if he just ate before I figure out if his cues are really for eating or not. Children...so complicated. While nursing I check out Feedly, Facebook, and Instagram and don't see much new since I last looked, so I turn on the TV. HGTV to be specific, and start watching Fixer Upper. Carter nurses one side, then I change his diaper and put him in his sleep sack, then we nurse the other side.

2:45am | Carter is passed out on my shoulder and will not burp, so we head upstairs to bed. I lay him down in the bassinet and he doesn't move a muscle, and I quietly jump with glee. That was easier than some nights. I climb into bed and shove Jon over to give me some room. Oh bed, it feels so marvelous.

4:20am | I hear Carter grunting and sucking his fist and I sigh. He couldn't possibly be hungry again, could he? He quiets back down and I fall asleep. Perfect example of wanting to be pacified.

4:40am | More grunting. I wait to see what he does next, hoping he doesn't want to eat again. Fortunately it turns out he's just trying to poop. Poor kid, it seems like such a production sometimes. He succeeds (our boy is not shy about noisy poops) and settles back down into sleep. I decide I'll change him when he's up next, as I don't dare wake a sleeping boy.

5:45am | I wake to crying. Like most times, I also wake up cradling a pillow, and after gingerly setting the pillow aside, it takes me a minute or two to realize that that is not my baby. I look at my phone and am pleased that he's gone almost 4 hours between feedings start-to-start. (Really hoping this 4 hour stretch is his new normal at night). I reach over and pick up Carter from the bassinet and we head back downstairs. I'd normally nurse him in his room, but I left the boppy downstairs. He screams because I cannot feed him immediately.

We nurse and I turn back on the TV. I'm predicting we are up for the day, so might as well fully wake up. I see that I have our PS3 remote within reach, so I turn on Netflix and watch this series called Switched at Birth that I've been binge-watching. I'm pretty sure it was/is an ABC Family show or something; super cheesy, but also a bit fascinating as several characters are deaf. Carter nurses for 20 minutes or so and completely passes out again. No way, do I get to go back to bed?? I carefully carry him back upstairs in fear he'll wake up, and he doesn't stir when I lay him down. YES. I jump back in bed, as Jon's alarm is going off. He's a multiple snoozer, which is annoying, but I've become good at falling asleep quickly so I don't care too much. I remember that I had intended to change Carter's diaper, but decide he can wait another hour or two since this was a gift to go back to bed.

7:00am | So much for more sleep. That was maybe 25 minutes, which I'll take over nothing. Mister is making all sorts of noises, and clearly not down for a solid snooze like I thought. I take him to change his diaper and a new outfit, as we are heading out for my 6-week check-up later in the morning. Otherwise we'd both remain in our pajamas all day.

7:10am | Jon stops in to say goodbye before he leaves for work. No surprise, Carter starts cooing and smiling for him. Those two...

I put Carter in his crib and run to get dressed and ready myself. Pre-Carter, I could have never imagined how little time I'd have to myself, or how difficult it would be to do the simplest tasks. I throw on some clothes (I showered yesterday afternoon thanks to my parents being here, though daily showers are no longer in my life anyways), and Carter is already crying. Sigh. I 'rescue' him, and his whole body trembles in my arms like that was the worst thing ever. Sorry buddy. You'd better start liking that crib soon.

Then we head downstairs. I open the blinds, start my coffee, and put Carter in the bouncer, hopeful he will drift back to sleep for a little while. I'm trying to prolong his next feeding until 9am so he'll be full during my doctor's appointment. I quickly do some dishes, as it turns out being home all day with a sink full of dishes is way more irritating than it was when at work all day. I pour myself a bowl of cereal and scarf it down as I just know my time is limited. Sure enough...

7:40am | Mister C is not having the bouncer anymore. I suspect he's tired but is fighting it, so I pick him up and pace back and forth in our living/dining room. He looooves walking, and knows the second you stop if he's not already passed out. (I certainly get my exercise walking around the house). My suspicion is correct, and his eyelids get heavy. Once I know he's out, I settle down on the couch, maneuvering him and me so that I can start working on this post while holding him. I already learned my lesson this morning of setting him down too soon, so in my arms he will stay for awhile. I don't have full use of my left hand and can only reach the far left keys on the keyboard. It's still better than just one handed.

8:40am | Noticing the clock, I set him down while I run to the bathroom and finish getting ready. He wakes up in approximately 4 minutes and cries to be picked up. I grab him and run upstairs to finish brushing my teeth. Holding baby, brushing teeth, and taking a photo? I'm good.

I then nurse Carter, who is thrilled. He always is when it comes to eating. Just like his mama.

9:20am | Time for a diaper change, and then into the car seat. Carter fortunately (mostly) loves his car seat, and starts smiling at me. I start the car, get the diaper bag ready, and we head out the door. I don't put his fleece blanket on him as I've learned he roasts in this seat. He's always hot, like his daddy.

9:40am | I check in for my appointment, and then we wait. And wait. And wait. My OB is very popular, and often runs late as a result. I'm happy that the sitting area is not infested with urgent care flu patients like it was last time. Carter wakes up after awhile, and I fear our waiting is about to get a whole lot worse. Luckily, he is content in his seat, and stares up at me and smiles. My heart skips a beat...how blessed am I that this is my new normal?

 

I have the misfortune of hearing a man check in at the desk for, and I quote, "an appointment with a nurse to chisel my toenails." Ewwwwwwwwww. I practically throw up in my mouth. I text my husband and BFF the outrageous thing I just overheard. They can appreciate why this is extraordinarily gross for me (I'm not a foot person).

We are finally called back 25 minutes after my appointment time. I get weighed and vitals taken, and then we wait again. Carter gets fussy, so I end up swinging his car seat around, in my gown, hoping I don't flash the doctor when she comes in. Like modesty matters, all things considering. She arrives, and I have fun recounting my labor story for her. The rest of the appointment goes just fine.

10:50am | On our way home, and I decide to pick up some lunch. The closest drive thru was McDs, which I'm not thrilled about (especially after getting weighed) but it is convenient, as I don't have to move Carter who is sleeping again. Whatever. I'll start working out tomorrow.

Once home, kiddo sleeps a little longer in his car seat (in the house) while I again scarf down my food. And enjoy my diet coke...yum. I don't drink much caffeine these days, haven't even started up my regular coffee routine yet, only decaf. So this tastes heavenly and I feel a boost almost immediately. Carter wakes and cries, {outlining the day sure does make it seem like he cries a lot, but it really is just when he's ready for something else} so I walk around and try to get him back to sleep. It works, and I transfer him to the swing so I can continue working on this post, as well as a few other things. That plan works for 20 minutes or so before he wakes up and wants out.

12:00pm | Time to nurse again, which Carter very quickly reminds me. My mom calls during this, and can actually hear Carter gulping away. Afterwards, he passes out on my chest, and I watch some TV. I have a hard time today just sitting, and feel like there are lots of things I want to do, so I eventually put him back in the swing. It's always a gamble...sometimes he stays asleep and other times I would have been better off continuing to hold him. This time is the former, and he awakens quickly. Sigh...one of those days.

1:30pm | I am pacing around the living room for the...third time today? Fourth? He falls asleep almost immediately, which just goes to show that he just prefers to be held. Stinker. I have to make a call to my credit card company, and end up with a very helpful and efficient customer service rep. I'm done within minutes and crash on the couch with my heavy baby. He starts snoring. I resume working on this post. After all, sleep deprivation doesn't make my memory so great these days, so capturing this entire day requires many, many notes.

2:15pm | I text with Alicia about 'end of pregnancy/postpartum fun-ness.' We also laugh at her midwife's comment that no penis has ever fallen off from lack of sex. Sound medical advice there. :)

I then watch several episodes of Switched at Birth. Netflix is so awesome for binge-watching, and the episodes just keep rolling unless you stop them. As I watch, I think about the fact that Lea Thompson once attended a party at my mother's house in South Minneapolis. Pretty cool.

I'm still cuddled up with Mister C, which I really adore even if it sort of pins me to the couch. We nurse again somewhere in here too. I feel a little like a milk machine.

4:25pm | Carter wakes up and we do a little talking. His cooing is really taking off, and it makes me smile every time. His mouth starts to quiver when he's gearing up for some talking, and I catch him watching my lips as I talk. His cooing is often paired with smiles, which is just so lovely.

Then the poor kiddo works on some serious grunting and pushing. It's really sort of awful to witness, as you just want to find a way to help him out. I try some leg circles and rubbing his belly with no luck. He remains super fussy until I give him the pacifier. Then, literally instantly, he calms down and falls asleep. Go figure.

5:20pm | Jon arrives home! It has become my favorite part of the day. For the record, I've always looked forward to seeing him at the end of any day, but even more so now. And no, not just so I can pass the baby off and take a little break (though that part is nice).

Jon grabs sleepy Carter from my arms and transfers him to his bouncer. That lasts 10 minutes. Jon picks him up and they then exchange a series of conversations and smiles and games. Often, when we try to make eye contact with Carter, he'll turn his head the opposite side away from us. He is so observant and clearly wants a view of everything going on, not just our big old fat heads. Jon and I laugh as Carter whips his head back and forth as Jon tries to make eye contact.
 

We watch the news, Jon talks with Carter, and I keep working on this post. How am I only to mid-morning at this point? I feel like all I do is nurse and change diapers and rock to sleep...how does the story of my day take this long?

6:30pm | I make dinner. I mean breakfast. I mean breakfast for dinner. Eggs, turkey bacon, and cinnamon rolls. Mmmmm. We eat while Carter watches us from his bouncer. He has eyes on us at all times, following us when we move around the room. I wonder how far he can really see these days.

7:15pm | We turn on an episode of Stalker from our DVR, and I nurse Carter again.

8:00pm | Bath time for the baby! We have only been bathing him once a week or so, but I tell myself this is acceptable as it's winter, and cold, and dry, and his skin is delicate. Carter just started enjoying baths, so we no longer dread them and might make them a more prominent part of our routine soon. Bath time is still a joint task, as we haven't gotten out his tub yet, nor have either of us mastered holding a slippery baby with one hand. But space is definitely tight in the sink, so we will have to stop being lazy and dig out his tub next time. Carter seems to enjoy looking in the mirror though.

Then operation "dry baby, dress baby, and warm up baby" commences.

8:40pm | We all head downstairs to watch some TV. I end up holding Carter on the couch as he warms up and falls asleep.

11:00pm | I stay up much later than I should, and I'll likely regret this.  I nurse Carter again, put him in his sleepsack, and to bed we go. What an exhausting day.

Though technically the following 'day,' for the record Carter woke at 2am, 4am, and 7am to nurse. Not great, but not ideal.

Comments

  1. I love the smiles!!!! Such a happy boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute baby! And he seems really happy and smiley! I think you will love having this record - I don't have all these little details from Bella's early days and I can't quite picture what life was like or what I did.

    Admirable to do this with a tiny baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I remember these days very vividly!! It is really easy to feel trapped with a winter baby. I remember just watching the forecast for days that were over 40 degrees where I maybe could just walk around the block or something. Binge watching Netflix definitely helps! If you want another brainless and fairly funny show, Drop Dead Diva is ridiculous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this was so fun to read! I don't think a mama ever forgets those first few weeks of life with their little one. It's like being transported back in time reading your words. That said, I enjoy my life of (more) sleep, so no need to trade spots with your DITL or anything. Nope! :) Thanks for sharing your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a beautiful baby boy! He looks so contented and happy too, and why would he not be, with his mama at his beck and call?

    I really enjoyed reading this. It took me back to the days with newborns, when you put them down and wonder, 'how long will it be this time?' or 'Should I have even put him down?' And the nonstop nursing and changing of diapers.. But looking at that little face -- bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, baby grunting... I think half the reason I had such poor sleep when my daughter was a newborn was because I was on hyper alert and all those little noises babies make would wake me up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, Carter is adorable. My baby is just 6 months now, but is such a different baby than those newborn days. I kind of miss it. I still like to snuggle her when she falls asleep if I can. Netflix is amazing for those days :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopping on over from the DITL link-up... Your little squishy guy is making me want another so badly... and my youngest is only 10 months old! He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww! Carter is adorable! But wow, your post brought me down memory lane. Life with a new baby, having your every move dictated by their sleep. So hard! But you're doing such a great job with him. And you will eventually sleep again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carter is so adorable!! It's been about a year since my daughter was that age and boy it seems like forever ago! Sounds like you are doing an awesome job though!

    Here from the DITL linkup (just really late).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Fall 2015

Annabel - 18 months