A quality Sunday
Yesterday was a quality Sunday. And because I am on leave, I didn't dread the day like I normally do!
For starters, we slept until 8am. And Carter nursed incredibly quickly during the night, having his first cold, so we got at least 7.5 hours of sleep. Not counting the few times I awoke to his coughing and listened intently with worry that he would choke. Poor guy, though he did sleep quite well all things considering. And I felt like a new woman!
The little guy and I came downstairs and snuggled, nursed, and watched tv. It was a nice morning. He coughed a bunch which broke my heart, but then he followed up with giant smiles that reassured me he was feeling "okay." And I had so much fun with him. The way he stares with wonderment...
Then Jon woke up (he gets late night duty and I get mornings), and I handed over the baby and went upstairs to work out. For the first time since, oh, November. Unless you count the pacing and bouncing and swaying I've been doing the last 8 weeks, in which case I'm a workout fool. But clearly that is not enough, and I have some work to do on this belly that is no longer cute. I didn't know what I would do exactly, but hoped the pregnancy exercise DVD I had included a postpartum I could use to ease into things. It did, but it was a joke. 5 crunches? 2 planks? A couple weird leg raises? I ended doing a bunch of random exercises I've picked up from Jillian and Insanity over the years, enough to break a little sweat. It felt good. Then, as I heard all was quiet downstairs, I took a bubble bath. Ahhhh.
Feeling incredibly relaxed and refreshed for the first time in awhile, I made us some lunch, nursed Carter, and then enjoyed a relatively leisurely afternoon on the couch watching tv and playing with our super adorable and entertaining baby. It is SO nice having Jon home to help with Carter. I love my days with Carter, truly, but how great it is to get a drink of water when I am actually thirsty rather than on Carter's terms. And to have someone to say, "OMG look at what he just did!" and ooogle over his cuteness with.
We actually cooked for dinner. Baked bourbon chicken, rice, and potstickers. Yeah, no veggie...don't judge. We're lucky it wasn't cereal or PB&J. And Carter laid next to us on the couch peacefully while we ate, which doesn't often happen.
Bath time was pleasant, and I did it all by myself for the first time. Jon was on the phone, and for whatever reason I insisted he had to be bathed at that exact moment (I know I am a huge pill to deal with these days). Usually we both bathe him. I don't know about anyone else, but the logistics of getting a slippery baby out of water and wrapped in a towel alone freaked me out, especially out of our deep garden tub because our other one has water temperature issues. But I did it just fine! Carter kicked around in the water and really seemed to enjoy it more. His big blue eyes stared intently at me as I washed him, and I just about melted into pieces. We then read a couple books, and he soon fell asleep in his bouncer as we watched the Grammy's. I was in bed by 10pm, and got 3.5 solid consecutive hours of sleep before the first wake-up!
All in all, it was a really perfect Sunday for our little family. Feeling so blessed.
Bath time was pleasant, and I did it all by myself for the first time. Jon was on the phone, and for whatever reason I insisted he had to be bathed at that exact moment (I know I am a huge pill to deal with these days). Usually we both bathe him. I don't know about anyone else, but the logistics of getting a slippery baby out of water and wrapped in a towel alone freaked me out, especially out of our deep garden tub because our other one has water temperature issues. But I did it just fine! Carter kicked around in the water and really seemed to enjoy it more. His big blue eyes stared intently at me as I washed him, and I just about melted into pieces. We then read a couple books, and he soon fell asleep in his bouncer as we watched the Grammy's. I was in bed by 10pm, and got 3.5 solid consecutive hours of sleep before the first wake-up!
All in all, it was a really perfect Sunday for our little family. Feeling so blessed.
Comments
Post a Comment