Four months
My sweet little blue-eyed boy is four months old.
I just re-read the previous monthly posts, and oh, I'm feelingall mostly nostalgic for those early baby days. All the more reason to continue documenting, even if it isn't interesting to anyone else but me. :)
Carter is so much fun these days. He smiles, he giggles, he stares intently, he reaches, he moves, he reacts... I love it. But he feels like a lot of work these days too. He requires more attention, more entertainment, and by the evening more creative distraction to keep the fussiness at bay. Cradling him calmly in my arms no longer suffices - he arches his back, twists his head backwards, and tries to just GO. Somewhere. Anywhere. I know this is just the beginning.
Carter's latest achievement has been rolling over. About two weeks ago, he was on his tummy and started rocking, lifting his butt, doing mini downward dog positions, and he tipped right on over onto his back. He's done it a couple more times since, though it is definitely accidental. Tummy time is still a breeze for him, and often involves massive amounts of drool dripping from his mouth. He has also started inching himself forward while on his belly, again accidentally, which is giving me flashes of our future. Perhaps we need to start babyproofing sooner than we expected.
Carter is definitely a talker just like his daddy. Ooh boy can I already imagine family dinners with these two. I'll be lucky to get a word in. Carter's "words" have changed from short noises like 'goo' and 'ug-ga' to longer squeals and 'ahhs' and a whole slew of noises I can't even put in writing. He loves to banter back and forth and will grin when you repeat the same noise that he just made. On occasion he'll look at you like you're insane.
Napping is still our main challenge and is worth mentioning yet again. Carter has had amazing napping days at Grandma Sue's and Grandma Judy's recently where he slept in his pack 'n play for 1.5 - 2 hours at a time. Without a fuss. At daycare he has started doing maybe an hour in the crib but not consistently. At home with us? He slept an hour in the crib, but that was after 30 minutes, a wake up, another 10 minutes, another wake up, 45 minutes in my arms, and then back to the crib. I worry that he isn't getting enough overall sleep, though he's a happy, smiley angel all day and just somewhat fussy in the evenings.It's so hard to know what's right, or enough, when every baby is different. He's certainly not showing any signs of slowing development or struggle, so I'm sure he's fine. Right? Right.
Another new achievement for Carter this last month has been accurately grabbing things. Before he'd throw his arm out towards an object and catch it in his grasp 50% of the time. Now he opens his fingers and can accurately reach towards an object and grab it. I'm so proud! :) He almost always grabs his pacifier and ends up chewing on all sides of it as his accuracy into his mouth is not quite mastered yet. I love watching his gaze fixate on the object and he reaches those chubby fingers out in such concentration. Gosh babies doing the simplest things can be so cute. I suppose even more so when it's your own child.
With the warmer weather, we've been able to see more of Carter's chubby arms and leg rolls and cute little curled toes. I'm so looking forward to summer! My poor buddy has been bundled up his whole life.
Carter is wearing almost all 6 month clothing now, size 2 diapers, and I'm eager to find out his stats at his 4 month appointment in a week (he's two weeks behind schedule now due to having RSV at 2 months). NOT looking forward to more shots.
Four months. It feels like he's been in our lives a lot longer than that. Ah, love.
I just re-read the previous monthly posts, and oh, I'm feeling
Carter is so much fun these days. He smiles, he giggles, he stares intently, he reaches, he moves, he reacts... I love it. But he feels like a lot of work these days too. He requires more attention, more entertainment, and by the evening more creative distraction to keep the fussiness at bay. Cradling him calmly in my arms no longer suffices - he arches his back, twists his head backwards, and tries to just GO. Somewhere. Anywhere. I know this is just the beginning.
Carter's latest achievement has been rolling over. About two weeks ago, he was on his tummy and started rocking, lifting his butt, doing mini downward dog positions, and he tipped right on over onto his back. He's done it a couple more times since, though it is definitely accidental. Tummy time is still a breeze for him, and often involves massive amounts of drool dripping from his mouth. He has also started inching himself forward while on his belly, again accidentally, which is giving me flashes of our future. Perhaps we need to start babyproofing sooner than we expected.
Carter is definitely a talker just like his daddy. Ooh boy can I already imagine family dinners with these two. I'll be lucky to get a word in. Carter's "words" have changed from short noises like 'goo' and 'ug-ga' to longer squeals and 'ahhs' and a whole slew of noises I can't even put in writing. He loves to banter back and forth and will grin when you repeat the same noise that he just made. On occasion he'll look at you like you're insane.
Napping is still our main challenge and is worth mentioning yet again. Carter has had amazing napping days at Grandma Sue's and Grandma Judy's recently where he slept in his pack 'n play for 1.5 - 2 hours at a time. Without a fuss. At daycare he has started doing maybe an hour in the crib but not consistently. At home with us? He slept an hour in the crib, but that was after 30 minutes, a wake up, another 10 minutes, another wake up, 45 minutes in my arms, and then back to the crib. I worry that he isn't getting enough overall sleep, though he's a happy, smiley angel all day and just somewhat fussy in the evenings.It's so hard to know what's right, or enough, when every baby is different. He's certainly not showing any signs of slowing development or struggle, so I'm sure he's fine. Right? Right.
Another new achievement for Carter this last month has been accurately grabbing things. Before he'd throw his arm out towards an object and catch it in his grasp 50% of the time. Now he opens his fingers and can accurately reach towards an object and grab it. I'm so proud! :) He almost always grabs his pacifier and ends up chewing on all sides of it as his accuracy into his mouth is not quite mastered yet. I love watching his gaze fixate on the object and he reaches those chubby fingers out in such concentration. Gosh babies doing the simplest things can be so cute. I suppose even more so when it's your own child.
With the warmer weather, we've been able to see more of Carter's chubby arms and leg rolls and cute little curled toes. I'm so looking forward to summer! My poor buddy has been bundled up his whole life.
Carter is wearing almost all 6 month clothing now, size 2 diapers, and I'm eager to find out his stats at his 4 month appointment in a week (he's two weeks behind schedule now due to having RSV at 2 months). NOT looking forward to more shots.
Four months. It feels like he's been in our lives a lot longer than that. Ah, love.
(Hands almost always in the mouth these days)
So sweet! Promise me to do lots of videos of those baby sounds! (Not just to share with me, although please do! But to document. It changes so fast and all of a sudden it's gone!) Also, I need to see that guy again SOON! :)
ReplyDeleteHe is just such a cutie. I can't believe he is 4 months already, I feel like it was just last month that we were making last minute cookie bake changes cause you were in labor! It goes by so fast, but every new stage is just as exciting! I need to come see him again, life just got crazy busy like it always seems to do!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete