Nine months

Saaaay what?

My little mister is nine months old. He has now existed longer on the outside than he did on the inside, by one week actually (if we’re getting technical). It is mind-boggling that what started out as just a dream is now this little tiny human who has become beyond our wildest dreams.

Most recent stats: 20.25 lbs (61%), 28 inches (33%), and 18 inches head (88%). All over the board. He barely grew an inch in the last 3 months, but I'm told that is typical and he'll likely have a huge growth spurt in length before his 12 month checkup. It would be so strange for him to stay on the short side given both of our heights. His head sure does appear to be growing fast! ;)

Carter has always had a lively personality, but we are seeing this shine through more now that he’s both mobile and comprehending more. He’s fearless and energetic and so. much. fun. He is not afraid to climb, or fall, and usually does both with a grin on his face. He tries to scale the wall by hanging on the window sill, and has attempted to launch himself off his changing table and the top of the stairs head first many a time. He “talks” almost non-stop, finally saying ma-ma-ma amongst others consonants. And if he’s not talking, he’s screeching (with joy) or putting something in his mouth. Peek-a-boo and chasing are favorites, as is “The Wheels on the Bus” and “Twinkle Twinkle.” And he still flaps his arms like a little birdie whenever he gets excited.


And yet, when we are out in public, or amongst new people, he sits back quietly and observes it all. Typical baby behavior, I’m sure, but so interesting how very opposite he is at home with us.

Within days of actual crawling last month, Carter started pulling himself up to standing. He is now obsessed with being vertical. He’d rather be standing at the couch or ottoman than sitting playing with his toys. He passed the phase where he had to be on my lap at all times, which is liberating, although that means I am now running around following him to keep him out of trouble.  Or, he is following me and trying to get into the fridge or the dishwasher when I’d rather he just sit and play. He tries to crawl so fast that sometimes his arms can’t keep up and he face plants into the floor. It's especially brutal when he does it on the kitchen floor. Eek. I suspect many a tear will fall as he navigates this world.



When I lay on the floor, he beelines towards me with this sparkle in his eye, ready to pounce on and claim his mama for his own. Every single time. When I want to distract him from getting into something he shouldn't, all it takes is laying on the floor and he forgets all about what he was about to do! Just recently, he also leans in for an open-mouthed kiss, and if I turn my head away so he’d kiss my cheek, he grabs my chin, turns my face back, and plants a big wet one right on my lips. It’s so incredibly endearing, despite the fact that I’m pretty sure this is how I got his cold. He has so much love to show, and has been giving slobbery kisses to me, his daddy, and his daycare provider all the time.


Eating is hit or miss these days. He will inhale bananas and puffs without fail, but everything else depends on the day. He’s had noodles, avocado, carrots, peas, peaches, toast, pancakes, and blueberries so far, in addition to whatever else he gets at daycare. I suspect the problem at home is he is sooo tired by the time we sit him down to eat in the evenings, so he’s usually fussing after a minute or two. I’m not worried, because he’s still nursing great and downing his bottles at daycare.


One surprising food he does like? Pepperoni. Jon was eating some the other day and Carter lunged for a piece. We let him taste it, expecting a funny face and we'd move on, but nope. He pulled it back for a second taste, and tried to shove the whole piece in his mouth. We gave him little bites and he inhaled it like no other food. I tried one and could feel my tongue tingling almost immediately, so I do not know who this child is but he can't be mine. :)

His comprehension and memory is impressive. He now knows how to give high fives, and finds this hilarious (probably because we all make some over-the-top boom noise when he does it). He looks around when you ask him, "Where's Daddy?" He seems to understand the words kiss, up, milk, Daddy, and Mama...and "I'm going to get you..." We now play a game where he settles in to nurse at night, then whips his head towards the door (where Daddy is heading to turn out the light and leave), and waits for Daddy to "get him." He giggles so hard as Daddy approaches, then turns back to nurse for 5 seconds, whips his head back towards the door, and we repeat. I've had to stop them after 3 times because he gets so riled up and it's bedtime for goodness sake.

I could go on and on about this kid. He is such a joy in our lives, and we are having so much fun watching him grow into the little person he is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Fall 2015

Annabel - 18 months