Annabel - Five months

I feel like I start each monthly post gushing about how amazing Annabel is, but I can't help it. She is.

At her 4-month appointment a couple weeks ago, she was 16.5 pounds and 25.5 inches long. Right at the 80%, which is where she's held steady since birth. She's wearing 6 and 9-month clothing, and I'm loving the fact that 3-mo dresses are now the perfect tops.

This was a big month for her gross motor skills, as she learned how to roll from back to belly! It's funny how the instant babies learn that, they flip almost immediately when laid down. So far she will stay on her back at night - maybe wearing a sleep sack helps? But any other time she flips pretty quickly, and cranes her neck to look around the room. It must be a pretty nice new perspective for her.

Speaking of perspective, I forget how amazing it is to watch those innocent little eyes dart around exploring the world in a new way. She and I spent a good 20 minutes people-watching at the park, content as can be. She cranks her neck to try to see the TV if it's on, and will always follow me as I leave or move about the room. She tries to keep an eye on Carter, but he's fast, and often darts into her face so quickly and loudly that she's more often than not blinking and trying to shield herself. She apparently belly laughed watching Carter jump around the other day at my in-laws, which I was sad to miss but so happy to hear.

Annabel loves her daddy so very much. Carter and Jon have an incredible bond right now, rough-housing and joking around, but I don't recall quite the enamor between them when he was a baby like Annabel and Jon currently have. It's so incredibly sweet. The second she sees him, her face lights up with the biggest smile. And let's face it, his face does the same when he sees her. He does this singing chant with an arm motion that he started with Carter, and it makes her squirm with glee. Every. single. time.


And yet, I think I still hold the #1 spot in her heart. For now. After all, I have the milk.
 

She is still nursing and taking bottles like a champ. About 4 oz every 3 hours during the day, and once in the middle of the night. She is starting to get distracted nursing, so I try to nurse her alone in her room as much as I can. Of course, having an inquisitive and hyper toddler doesn't make that easy. Today, for instance, as I'm nursing her, he climbs onto the tiny free space on my lap and insists on watching a video on my phone. I oblige, because I don't want to deal with a tantrum, and honestly if he wasn't doing this he'd be watching his one TV show in the other room. So screen time is screen time. Annabel starts kicking (him) and pops off repeatedly to try to see where the noise is coming from. Not efficient in the least.

I nurse her to sleep at night, which I know is a 'no-no' but it works for us. She can still put herself back to sleep when she wakes at night (usually), so I'm not going to mess with a good thing. Also, we've gotten her to fall asleep on her own for naps quite often now, so I don't think I'm setting us up for sleep failure. I can hope anyway. We did the same with Carter, and he is an AWESOME sleeper now. :)

I can hold her with one arm on my hip pretty well now, which is so nice. Especially as I try to keep her older brother from getting into too much trouble.

She is still shoving everything in her mouth and enjoys rolling around and kicking.

This month she attended her first parade (slept through it) and first bridal shower, where she stole the show from the bride-to-be just a little bit. She also tagged along to the pool and park a number of times, usually chilling in her stroller or snoozing in my arms.

Annabel continues to be our easy, breezy baby for the most part. Rarely cries, usually goes with the flow. Often with a giant smile on her face. :)

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, what a precious, sweet little girl. I so wish I could give her lots of snuggles, hugs and kisses right now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Winter 2015

Tales of a trip to Brazil, Part 1