You look...

I was talking to a colleague of mine this morning, and after a few minutes of conversation, he furrowed his brow in a look of concern and asked, “Are you ok? You look…” and trailed off like he didn’t quite know how to say it.  Trying to avoid feeling incredibly awkward myself (or maybe hoping I wouldn't have to hear the end of his sentence), I quickly replied that I didn’t sleep well last night and was tired.  The answer appeared to explain it all and he was off to another subject.  Awkward moment mostly averted.

Though I was in fact tired and indeed did not sleep well due both to a snoring monster next to me and too few blankets on the bed to keep me warm enough, I didn’t think it was transparent in my face.  But apparently I look awful today.  Maybe it’s my hoodie and jeans and hair pulled back with little makeup that makes me look sluggish/worn/whatever my colleague noticed.  Who knows.  I should maybe rethink my interpretation of casual Mondays. 

I’m pretty sure this guy has no clue that he shouldn’t say things like that to a woman, or to anyone for that matter, so I took no offense to it and simply laughed about it.  Men...

But I wouldn’t put it past me to be looking a little worn out these days.  I have been on the go for weeks now without much of a chance to relax.  My sister’s wedding was a whirlwind – the good kind, of course.  Last week at work was crazier than ever, because you know when you go on vacation you are asking to be punished when you return to work.  It almost makes being out of the office not worth it.  I said almost.  

I stayed up late on Friday night to bake monster cookies for the weekend, woke up early to work on a few things required of me by 8am, and then drove to Wisconsin to hang out with the in-laws the rest of the weekend.  Granted the weekend wasn’t super busy or strenuous activity, but it wasn’t home and I couldn’t do “my thing” – namely catch up on sleep.  We were running to hockey games, playing with the dogs, visiting with family from out of town, making meals… all fun stuff with the family for sure, just no downtime to truly relax.  And we slept on an air mattress next to a huge fish tank where the fish spent all night picking up and spewing rocks towards the tank walls while digging holes.  I’m not kidding.  Hearing pebbles clank on the glass all night was a tidbit about their fish I was not so pleased to learn about.  Very little sleep was to be had.  But ce la vie. 

So, here’s to hopefully a good night’s rest – and a better looking face in the morning!

Comments

  1. Lol, buddy I love posts like this. Real life yo. And really lovely writing too.

    Being busy does really wear you down, and there are certain times of the year, and I think Oct is for some reason one of them, when all the events, all the occasions, all the arrangements, they just pile up. It IS exhausting isn't it?

    I didn't think you "looked" tired at all at lunch the other day, so your interpretation of casual Fridays is still a-ok. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness. Men are idiots. Seriously. This guy needs a social skills lesson from me - "Thinking thoughts vs. saying thoughts". Anywho, I'm sure you looked beautiful!!! You always look good, no matter how tired you are :) You want to see someone looking rough around the edges...you should check me out lately. Gross. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day in the Life - Spring 2015

Day in the Life - Fall 2015

Annabel - 18 months