Thankful, Day 11
Today I am thankful for the people that serve or have served our country.
They defend our country and protect us and our rights. They give up time with their families, and unfortunately in too many cases give up their lives. While I find it hard to believe war is ever a solution for anything, I appreciate the people that choose to serve, and fight for us and/or the better good.
The only people I know that are currently active in the armed forces is a friend that serves in the JAG unit of the National Guard and a former classmate in the Army. No one, fortunately, that is facing extreme danger.
On a day like today, I do think about my grandpa. He served as a cryptographer in the Army for 2.5 years in Africa during World War II. He deciphered top secret messages, which I think is quite cool. I wish I had spent more time talking with him about his experience in Casablanca when he was still able, but alas things that interest me now didn’t come to mind when I was younger. We were eating pie and going for drives and talking about Hormel, not thinking about WWII.
Today I also think about my dad and my uncle. Both served in the National Guard. My dad was a chef, and I recall the story when they added food coloring to the gravy as a prank and everyone refused to eat it. I don't blame them!
I also think of my father-in-law, who was right in the heart of it in Vietnam. He tells stories of his barracks being bombed on his 21st birthday and how he fortunately escaped without injury. I cannot even imagine.
So we owe a big thank you to the people that have or are currently serving our country. THANK YOU.
They defend our country and protect us and our rights. They give up time with their families, and unfortunately in too many cases give up their lives. While I find it hard to believe war is ever a solution for anything, I appreciate the people that choose to serve, and fight for us and/or the better good.
The only people I know that are currently active in the armed forces is a friend that serves in the JAG unit of the National Guard and a former classmate in the Army. No one, fortunately, that is facing extreme danger.
On a day like today, I do think about my grandpa. He served as a cryptographer in the Army for 2.5 years in Africa during World War II. He deciphered top secret messages, which I think is quite cool. I wish I had spent more time talking with him about his experience in Casablanca when he was still able, but alas things that interest me now didn’t come to mind when I was younger. We were eating pie and going for drives and talking about Hormel, not thinking about WWII.
Today I also think about my dad and my uncle. Both served in the National Guard. My dad was a chef, and I recall the story when they added food coloring to the gravy as a prank and everyone refused to eat it. I don't blame them!
I also think of my father-in-law, who was right in the heart of it in Vietnam. He tells stories of his barracks being bombed on his 21st birthday and how he fortunately escaped without injury. I cannot even imagine.
So we owe a big thank you to the people that have or are currently serving our country. THANK YOU.

Comments
Post a Comment