Thankful, Day 16
Today I'm thankful for Craigslist.
Because of it, our living room is eerily empty right now.
You see, a week ago, we were bored and decided to stop in at Becker Furniture World to browse. We've done this before, many a time, and we seem to enjoy looking around at stuff we would love to have someday. Never any intentions to buy.
We came across a couch that I immediately liked. Jon realized he liked it too, and we decided that it was a style and shape that would work great in our living room someday. Someday. We also acknowledged it was a shame we weren't in a position of needing a new couch as they were having a big VIP sale that evening (that of course my husband had gotten himself an invite to even though we were never considering buying anything).
We left, went to Costco, and decided to stop in at Ashley and Slumberland since they were right there. We are furniture browsers, after all. We were curious if there were others with couches similar to the one we had just decided we loved. There was nothing even close.
More errands, and then we found ourselves in the Walgreens parking lot, sort of tiptoeing around the idea of maybe we should get that couch. I thought it was a crazy idea, and yet I couldn't stop thinking about it. And that night it was the cheapest it would likely ever be. So we talked and realized that it couldn't hurt to buy it that night but not pick it up for awhile so we could sit on the decision and figure out what we'd do with our existing monster sectional.
Decision made, we went and bought it! This was so unlike us. Typically we spend time researching and thinking before a bigger purchase like this. But the couch would not be in stock for 4 weeks so we had time to sleep on this.
Over the last week we decided we would try to sell our current sectional on Craigslist. If there was no interest, or no one would pay at least a certain dollar amount we felt was worthwhile, we would keep it for our next home, store it in a spare bedroom or get creative somehow. Fortunately, there were two immediate responses to our posting. One realized the dimensions wouldn't work for his room, but the other sent her friend that lives nearby to look at it for her. Friend loved it, and lady called the next day and said she wanted it! She negotiated a little, but we still ended up with a fair price.
And today they came to pick it up! So our living room is now bare. I'm a bit disappointed with the timing because I have several days off around Thanksgiving where I had planned to relax and chill out at home. Clearly not on anything comfortable.
But all in all, I am thankful for Craigslist for helping us sell Jon's old couch. Without that help, we might not be getting that beautiful new couch I'm so excited about!
Because of it, our living room is eerily empty right now.
You see, a week ago, we were bored and decided to stop in at Becker Furniture World to browse. We've done this before, many a time, and we seem to enjoy looking around at stuff we would love to have someday. Never any intentions to buy.
We came across a couch that I immediately liked. Jon realized he liked it too, and we decided that it was a style and shape that would work great in our living room someday. Someday. We also acknowledged it was a shame we weren't in a position of needing a new couch as they were having a big VIP sale that evening (that of course my husband had gotten himself an invite to even though we were never considering buying anything).
We left, went to Costco, and decided to stop in at Ashley and Slumberland since they were right there. We are furniture browsers, after all. We were curious if there were others with couches similar to the one we had just decided we loved. There was nothing even close.
More errands, and then we found ourselves in the Walgreens parking lot, sort of tiptoeing around the idea of maybe we should get that couch. I thought it was a crazy idea, and yet I couldn't stop thinking about it. And that night it was the cheapest it would likely ever be. So we talked and realized that it couldn't hurt to buy it that night but not pick it up for awhile so we could sit on the decision and figure out what we'd do with our existing monster sectional.
Decision made, we went and bought it! This was so unlike us. Typically we spend time researching and thinking before a bigger purchase like this. But the couch would not be in stock for 4 weeks so we had time to sleep on this.
Over the last week we decided we would try to sell our current sectional on Craigslist. If there was no interest, or no one would pay at least a certain dollar amount we felt was worthwhile, we would keep it for our next home, store it in a spare bedroom or get creative somehow. Fortunately, there were two immediate responses to our posting. One realized the dimensions wouldn't work for his room, but the other sent her friend that lives nearby to look at it for her. Friend loved it, and lady called the next day and said she wanted it! She negotiated a little, but we still ended up with a fair price.
And today they came to pick it up! So our living room is now bare. I'm a bit disappointed with the timing because I have several days off around Thanksgiving where I had planned to relax and chill out at home. Clearly not on anything comfortable.
But all in all, I am thankful for Craigslist for helping us sell Jon's old couch. Without that help, we might not be getting that beautiful new couch I'm so excited about!
I can't wait to see your new couch! Frankie and I are totally impulse buyers but it can be kinda stressful sometimes as decisions that fast can come with regret later. It is nice that you guys had some time to think about it and I bet you guys will love it!
ReplyDeleteAs for Craigslist.... I love it! We have gotten rid of so much stuff on there... much of it was useless to us and we gave it away for free (like old kitchen cabinets or patio bricks). There is always someone out there who can use what you no longer need/want. Glad you were able to negotiate a fair price, sometimes people are quite ridiculous with their offers!
Impulse buying...totally how mom and dad shop!! It sounds like a good, smart move. Glad you sold your old couch so quickly and for a decent price. Looks like you will be sprawling out on the carpet during your days off!!
ReplyDelete