Thankful, Day 6
Today I am thankful for the opportunity to work from home.
My commute is about 8 seconds from upstairs to the dining room, where I usually set myself up for the day. Today I didn't have to deal with the first icy roads of the season, or rush hour traffic, and I slept in a whole 45 minutes longer. It is 4:45pm and I am still in my slippers and sweatpants, with no makeup. I did brush my teeth - that's as far as I got.
It sometimes feels lonely and isolating, but usually I enjoy the quiet and calmness. And on days like today, I have several conference calls to get some interaction with people. There have been days though that I've realized I haven't uttered a single word since saying goodbye to Jon in the morning, which is just weird.
I only work from home one day a week, when I have lighter days of meetings or don't need to be physically present, and at this point that is a perfect schedule. While I wouldn't mind getting up to twice a week at home, I do prefer being in the office rather than home. It is different working remotely, and I don't think I could do it full time. But I appreciate my company giving me the opportunity to do this on occasion, as it makes such a difference in my time, gas money, and even my sanity.
The best part is that come 4:30, I can log off and get on with my life. Get my workout done, start dinner, run some errands, catch up on TV...it is amazing how different the extra time makes my evening.
I know it's my own fault for living on the opposite side of where I work, so I deal with it with relatively few complaints. But I am so thankful I can cut out the commute and work from home on occasion.
It sometimes feels lonely and isolating, but usually I enjoy the quiet and calmness. And on days like today, I have several conference calls to get some interaction with people. There have been days though that I've realized I haven't uttered a single word since saying goodbye to Jon in the morning, which is just weird.
I only work from home one day a week, when I have lighter days of meetings or don't need to be physically present, and at this point that is a perfect schedule. While I wouldn't mind getting up to twice a week at home, I do prefer being in the office rather than home. It is different working remotely, and I don't think I could do it full time. But I appreciate my company giving me the opportunity to do this on occasion, as it makes such a difference in my time, gas money, and even my sanity.
The best part is that come 4:30, I can log off and get on with my life. Get my workout done, start dinner, run some errands, catch up on TV...it is amazing how different the extra time makes my evening.
I know it's my own fault for living on the opposite side of where I work, so I deal with it with relatively few complaints. But I am so thankful I can cut out the commute and work from home on occasion.
Glad to hear that you enjoy working from home. I am nervous about working Fulltime from home but I am so excited about the time and money it will save me to not have to deal with the commute anymore. I am hoping I dont go too stir crazy being at home all day with no face to face interaction with my co-workers. Wish me luck! And I will need more Happy Hours with you girls just so I can get out of the house!
ReplyDelete